General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing my COPs

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my COPs

How do I replace the COPs on my 4.6L. My screen name identifies my truck details. I opened the hood and they are too far down to really get to. I would guess that they must be replaced from below after the truck is jacked up.

1. If this is the correct method of getting to them how high does the truck need to be?

2. Also what tools are needed ?

3. Does anyone have proceedure? I searched on here and could not find one.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Old timer member

The COPs are on the top of the heads, directly below the fuel rails, servicable from above. They are next to the fuel injectors on each cylinder, this can be done with the fuel rails still on the engine.
Remove the electric connector from them, then use an 8mm socket to remove the small bolt that holds them in, then pull them up and out.
I suggest getting a Haynes manual, it should have better detailed instructions.
Make sure you use dielectric grease on the electrical connections and in the spark plug boots.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the info. Lagerre!

I am am a very old school shade tree mechanic and I am a relic when it comes to fuel injection and COPS. My wife drives the truck to work eveyday and it has been raining so I have not had the time to take a really good look at replacing these things. I did order a complete 2001 Ford F150 Shop Service Manual on Ebay. Expensive ($64) but I hope to save at least the cost of the manual over time. Are the spark plugs still down by the exhaust? Just wondering? I hope all goes well in replacing these COPs,,, Again, Thanks !
Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 PM

spark plugs are right in a row with the injectors, and the coils obviously are right on top. on the intake side. weird stuff, fords always have the spark plug change from hell lol.

Quick Reply: Replacing my COPs