Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > General F150 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150 Forum!
Welcome to F150 Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Replace 4 tires at once?

So first off my apologies if this has been asked before. I assumed it had, but I couldn't find it.

I had a single tire go low on me and cracked the sidewall before I could re-inflate it. We looked into possibly limping along with a tube for a while, but it wouldn't have lasted due to the damage on the inside of the tire. So my question is: Do I really have to replace all 4 tires? I have been hearing mixed reviews on this. Some say only 2 at once, but be careful about applying 4x4. Others say I have to replace all 4 no matter what.

Money is a bit tight at the moment and if I can get by without a $1000+ bill right now that would be great. Can I get by with replacing just two tires right now? I don't use 4x4 except in the winter so I have some time before that. Could I get away with 2 tires now and 2 tires late fall?

Thanks.
HawkeyeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

i have a ton of used tire shops in my area. If you do, worth checking out if you have a common size.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Five-0 Ret.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Welcome to the forum. As my friend @zimmer0 says, check out the used tire shops. You can probably find one close to your other tires at less than half the price, and be fine.

I tend to think donuts certify ones copliness....... Luther "Suitcase" Simpson
Wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Texas Aggie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

No reason why you can't replace just one, or two, depending on wear. Road tires barely start out with maybe 7-12 32nds of tread, so worn tires aren't much smaller than brand new ones. It would be ideal to replace both tires that will be on the same axle, but I'd say it's far from necessary. Just get the same size, and same brand/model tire, if possible, and don't worry about it. The differences are going to be very slight. The only thing you HAVE to do is have the same size tires on each axle. Some AWD cars have staggered wheels/tires (bigger on back than front), if I remember correctly, and they're made to work like that. I could be wrong about using 4x4 with one size in the front, and others on the back, but I don't see why that would be a problem either.

If you had 3 worn the hell out mud tires, and one brand new one, that could potentially be an issue.

Pics and Mods
"Never Apologize For Being Patriotic" - Toby Keith - Better'n every Retard Attempting Poetry (Hopsin partially excluded)

Last edited by KMAC0694; 06-11-2014 at 01:28 PM.
KMAC0694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Fleet Technician

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

Back many moons ago we had a severe problem at the dealer with all wheel and 4 wheel drive vehicle's using mismatched tires, by that I mean tires that were over 1/4 " diameter from others. It would cause false activation of the abs as well as the all/4 wheel drive systems.

As others have started try to find a tire at least within 1/4" and you should be good to go with a used or new tire 1@ a time if need be.

Ricktwuhk (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the input everyone! I ended up going with 2 tires for now. Plan to go for 2 more of same type in late fall.
HawkeyeD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HawkeyeD For This Useful Post:
Wanted33 (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 AM