General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Removing the catalytic converter

I was told the catalytic converter on my 2001 5.4L is getting plugged and needs to be replaced. I'm thinking about removing it and putting in a section of pipe. I know it's not totally legal, but in my state we have no inspections. Is there any benefit to doing this? Is there any cons to it?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what ive done before on old cars that ive had in the past. Unbolt the exhaust behind the cat, get a piece of round stock, around a half inch or bigger in diameter and about 3 feet long or so, I used rebar, and a hammer. Now insert the bar into the opening of the cat and start hitting it, this will break up the material inside the cat, use a flashlight to see your progress. Once you get some of the material broken up, start the truck and rev it a couple time, this will blow out the material you have broken up, shut it off and repeat the breaking up process, start, rev, repeat. Use your flashlight to make sure all of the material is gone. Reattach you exhaust and your done. This way a visual look and you still have a cat, if you ever do get it inspected. That may take 30 mins or so. Not legal, but cheap, quick and easy.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok. But what will it affect the performance, good or bad? And will I get any error messages on the dash?

Quick Reply: Removing the catalytic converter