Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear axle offset after rear block kit install

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Rear axle offset after rear block kit install

Hey guys,

I just got the Ford dealer to install my 3" Pro Comp rear block kit and 7032 wheels with 285/60/20 duratracs while they were doing warranty work on my 2012. Upon looking at my truck after the install, I noticed the passengers side wheel sticks out further than the driver's side by roughly an inch. I've looked at it from all different angles and it's definitely sticking out further. Being that the offsets are obviously the same on all 4 wheels, it leads me to believe that the rear axle is offset a bit in relationship to the leaf springs. I rolled under there and everything looks OK, and the U-Bolt mounts look about the same distance from the shock mounts on either side.

Has anyone experienced this before, are your trucks 100% even after rear block installs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Rolled under there thinking I could loosed the U bolts and walk the axle over, forgot the mounts are welded to the axle itself, there's no adjustment there to be had.

At this point I'm pretty much resigned to dealing with having lopsided wheel offset, the gaps for the box look good so I don't think I'll be wiggling it around to get what I'm looking for.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:38 AM

After some more digging found this is a common issue and is unsolvable. Chalk it up to A+ Ford quality control...again.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:30 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Was it like that before?

Was the truck sitting on level ground?

Do all the wheels have the same back spacing?

Is the frame to box measurement the same on both sides (box may not be installed perfectly centred)?

Why blame Ford's QC if you are changing their design?

Green Gem
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

It's a pretty common F150 issue that's been haunting many owners for a long time, easily going back to the release of the 04's. I don't think blaming Ford's QC is out of line. Some have improved the visual by adjusting the bed but it's not always a good fix.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Green Gem
Was it like that before?

Was the truck sitting on level ground?

Do all the wheels have the same back spacing?

Is the frame to box measurement the same on both sides (box may not be installed perfectly centred)?

Why blame Ford's QC if you are changing their design?

Green Gem
I blame Ford's quality control because:

- There is little to no adjust-ability in the box
- By installing rear blocks, I am hardly changing their design, the issue is prevalent with or without aftermarket rear blocks.

Ford has told dealers to replace the leaf springs to resolve the issue, with no success.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:55 PM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigaboo
I blame Ford's quality control because:

- There is little to no adjust-ability in the box
- By installing rear blocks, I am hardly changing their design, the issue is prevalent with or without aftermarket rear blocks.

Ford has told dealers to replace the leaf springs to resolve the issue, with no success.
Jigaboo,

An inch might be able to be recovered by taking up all of the tolerences in the opposite direction.

There will be some play in the centre bolt locations above and below the blocks. That, when coupled with the fender/box side brace tolerences and the box tolerences, may allow you to eliminate much of the variance. It will be a lot of fiddly work.

If my head is working right tonight, you only need to recove a half-inch to even things out.

Did you have that variance before installing the blocks?

My Supercab was not sitting on really level ground when I looked at it today, but I doubt that there is a quarter inch difference between sides. That difference appears to be in the installation of the fender/box side braces. One side of the box is pulled in more than the other.

Hope this helps.

Green Gem
Old 04-07-2013, 07:07 PM

If you search Green Gem, you will find this issue plagues thousands of F-150's as stated above. I honestly can't see where ford went wrong as the box measures square to my dram and cab, and the perches seem to be symmetrically welded on the axle...

I will get it on a hoist and see if I can take any slack out of the pins and slide the axle over a c hair. I'll post my results on Wednesday.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 Ford F150 FX4, STOCK, I just added rims and tires, 20x9 no offset, no intentions of lifting the truck, I have my truck in the shop as we speak, at the body shop get laser measured front to back to find out why my rear axle sticks out further to the passenger side. I am going to pursue this as far as I can get with ford, This truck was $48000 and no one should be able to tell us it is what it is. The body shop came back to and said to move the cab over to align the the truck, well, that does not align my axles front and back. Fords QC is to blame if there is no fix for this. I love the Ford and am very happy with my truck and will probably buy another one knowing I have to bring a tape measure and a 6' straight edge to the dealer when buying another one.
They, Ford, and body shop already tried adjusting the axle, 1/8" play, thats it. They put my tires and rims on several trucks on the dealer and found not 1 truck with our problem, Will let you know outcome of what I find.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

On the trucks that are screwed up is the spring perch the same distance from the back plate of the rotor?

Wayne

Quick Reply: Rear axle offset after rear block kit install