Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re applying Bed Liner

Old 02-20-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re applying Bed Liner

Just bought a used 2004 F150 FX4 with the bed previously sprayed with bed liner. The problem is the liner used has failed and is no longer bonding and is falling right off. In order to put a new layer of liner on it I am wondering if I can just spray right over it and apply a new coat or if I have to get all the old liner off before putting a new layer on. Any information or experiences and products let me know. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:12 PM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

What liner is it? If a chunk is about to flake off, its gonna try to release the new overlay.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:19 PM

I'm not sure what kind was on it before the bed looks pretty used and abused and most of the old liner is gone on the bed.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:26 PM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

What liner you want to put on it? I imagine linex can remove the remnants and apply theirs, but it won't be the cheapest route. If DIY, what ya thinkin?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:43 PM

I have heard a ton of good things about the rustoleoum roll on, so price and easiness wise I'm looking at using that. Line-ex is out of the question due to complications of where I live.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:04 AM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

If you want to do it the right way, you need to remove the old bed liner and then clean/prep the surface properly. Otherwise, the new liner will not stick very well. If you have an air hammer/chisel and grinder then it will make your life much easier when removing the old liner.

You can put a new coat over the old one. However, it will likely begin to peel quickly especially if you put anything on it. If you go this route, you also need to be very careful that you don't seal in water or chemicals which can damage your bed.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:14 AM

Also, if the liner is in that bad of shape I would worry about the bed rusting underneath in some areas. In that case you want to treat the rust instead of covering it up.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

A heat gun and plastic scrapper. Apply heat and apparently the liner will start to peel. The good news is that if it is peeling it was not likely prepped right in the first place and thus should be easier to remove. It will take time and work but should come mostly off.

I am not an expert in paint and application but anything that is well adhered could likely be left and the new liner applied over top of it, after proper prep of course.

I would want to avoid damaging the paint under the liner as much as possible so the grinder and air chisel would be out for me. That air chisel will hammer the crap out of the bed lol. I am certain this route would be faster but runs the risk of damage.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18

I would want to avoid damaging the paint under the liner as much as possible so the grinder and air chisel would be out for me. That air chisel will hammer the crap out of the bed lol. I am certain this route would be faster but runs the risk of damage.
You actually have to damage the paint to properly install the liner. If you spray the liner right over the paint, it won't stick. It has to be sanded down very well. You use the air chisel at an angle.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:04 AM

It isn't letting me post the exact moment of the video. However, go to 2 minutes and 4 seconds. You see what the prep involves for Line X. This pretty much applies to anything though in regards to paint or surface prep. It takes time and it is a pain, but if you want it to look right you need to sand and prep!

Last edited by Nyron; 02-21-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Search this Thread