General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator fittings question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator fittings question

I also posted this in the 04-08 section but, had not response so, I'm reposting it here in hopes of some info.

It's not an F-150 but, it's a 2006 Expedition with the 5.4 so, it should be pretty much the same as a 2006 F-150 for the issue I'm having.

My searches have resulted in no answers that relate to what I need/want to do. Does anyone know a part number or item description of what I would need to remove the quick-connect fittings on the driver's side of the transmission so I can convert them to a normal flared-end connection?
My lines are rusted badly and leaking. I have two 60" sticks of 3/8" tubing and plan on bending my own lines and I can double-flare the ends but, I have no way to make new quick-connections and the lines are too rusted to just cut and use a compression fitting to connect my new lines.
If I knew what the thread size and pitch were, I could probably find a fitting that would work or if anyone has already done this and can tell me it's x-fitting you can find at autozone or lowe's, etc. I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide!!
Old 09-29-2016, 06:24 AM

Surely someone has swapped these fittings for regular fittings!?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:56 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

There is a saying, A picture is worth 1000 words. Post a picture of the fitting, maybe then someone can help.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by acdii
There is a saying, A picture is worth 1000 words. Post a picture of the fitting, maybe then someone can help.
When I get home from work I'll do just that!
Old 10-02-2016, 02:39 PM

This is the fitting I am referring to. It's on the driver's side of the radiator. I want to remove it and replace it with a standard flare fitting so I can replace the lines without having to spend over $100 on Ford lines! Name:  transmission%20line%20fittings%20expedition_zpsdps1zwz4.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  270.6 KB
Old 10-03-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I believe that is a threaded fitting into the tank of the radiator, but what is on the backside of it, unknown. There is usually a coil in the tank that the fluid runs through to exchange heat, so can't really say how it attaches. Looks like a push in fitting, which needs a special tool to remove.

You might want to give Summit Racing a call and see if they can help with an adapter fitting. They have a whole line of products and may have the exact part you need. I saw something that is a push in fitting, but it lists it for GM.

Better yet, get yourself a flare tool, and just cut the line a couple inches back, flare the end, and attach the hose to it.

Last edited by acdii; 10-03-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost
This is the fitting I am referring to. It's on the driver's side of the radiator. I want to remove it and replace it with a standard flare fitting so I can replace the lines without having to spend over $100 on Ford lines!

When I replaced the rad in my 03 I believe I popped that clip off and there may or may not be a small cotter pin like clip underneath closest to the rad. Remove that and pop the line out of the fitting. The fitting itself just threads into the rad. It has been a few years but I think that is all there is to it.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:48 PM

On the upper line I could just cut the line and flare it and connect it to my new lines I will bend but, on the lower line, the line is too rusty to re-use for anything. That's why I want to remove the quick-connect that threads into the radiator and replace it with something I can just do a flare connection. I'm going by the Ford parts dept. tomorrow to see if they might know of something that would work. They were closed when I went by today.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You would probably be better off with a place that specializes in fittings and fasteners. That is where I ended up.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:24 PM

Since the upper line is in good enough shape to flare and connect new lines, I decided to go by the dealer. The lower line was $43 with tax so, I ordered it and I'll replace it with new and then make up a new line for the upper. Thanks for all the input everyone!!

Quick Reply: Radiator fittings question