Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for FORD service writers.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:39 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

Default Question for FORD service writers.

Do you get paid commission for roping customers into unneeded services like a Jiffy Lube would?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
Do you get paid commission for roping customers into unneeded services like a Jiffy Lube would?
Sorry if my amusement towards your post sounds insensitive but

Service writers are secretary's of the automotive world, nothing more.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
130428 (09-02-2015), BCMIF150 (09-02-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 11:43 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Sorry if my amusement towards your post sounds insensitive but

Service writers are secretary's of the automotive world, nothing more.
Yes I know that. But I just wondered if they get commission sometimes they try to push early servicing on items before the truck is even on the hoist.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Every dealer I worked for(4 dealers, all had Ford, but also had others, like Toyota, GM ) , no service writer got a commission. They got a bonus for good customer service with high CSR, but no commission for "selling" unneeded service.
The following users liked this post:
tanked_darren (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 104 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mbullock
Every dealer I worked for(4 dealers, all had Ford, but also had others, like Toyota, GM ) , no service writer got a commission. They got a bonus for good customer service with high CSR, but no commission for "selling" unneeded service.
That's weird, because my last dealership I worked at and my current one both get sales commissions on top of a base pay plan.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
The dealer I worked at did give $ for up selling even the techs would get in on it too,would see the techs saying another wallet flush( brake,trans,coolant,engine)
Old 09-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by MDBoostWorks
That's weird, because my last dealership I worked at and my current one both get sales commissions on top of a base pay plan.
No sales commissions. Only a bonus with high customer service reports.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:15 AM

No sales commissions. Only a bonus with high customer service reports.
I assure you, both dealers(previous and current), our service writers had a commission based upon sales. They also were pressured to do well on surveys as well, but they were paid base pay plus commission on sales. It may not be the same everywhere but I know for a FACT that in these two cases, they have a sales commission.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by MDBoostWorks
I assure you, both dealers(previous and current), our service writers had a commission based upon sales. They also were pressured to do well on surveys as well, but they were paid base pay plus commission on sales. It may not be the same everywhere but I know for a FACT that in these two cases, they have a sales commission.
I can assure you that all 4 dealerships I was at did not get sales commissions. Based on a few things.

1. The amount of free work I've done over the years.

2. Conversations overheard between customers and service writers during that free work like,

Customer: "what do I owe you?"

Service writer: "nothing, no worries, I don't get a commission or anything. Consider it good customer service. "

3. The fact that I'm still friends with a few service writers despite me quitting those places. I just simply asked them thru text, promptly got a reply of, "haha! Yeah right, I wish! "

4. One dealer I worked for back 08-10 would hire customer "plants" and try to get you to slip up. They would then fire you if you did. For techs they used to come in and claim they got a price from a service writer, and ask the tech to do the job on the side for less $$. If you agreed...fired. If you were young and dumb, you were gone. They got rid of tons of UTI graduates this way. For service writers the fake customers would come in knowing they didn't need brakes or something. Ask the service writer to bring it in. If they "found something" when something wasn't there... Fired.

I don't doubt the places you worked at did work on commission. I'm just saying they ones I worked for, didn't.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:39 AM

I can assure you that all 4 dealerships I was at did not get sales commissions. Based on a few things.

1. The amount of free work I've done over the years.

2. Conversations overheard between customers and service writers during that free work like,

Customer: "what do I owe you?"

Service writer: "nothing, no worries, I don't get a commission or anything. Consider it good customer service. "

3. The fact that I'm still friends with a few service writers despite me quitting those places. I just simply asked them thru text, promptly got a reply of, "haha! Yeah right, I wish! "

4. One dealer I worked for back 08-10 would hire customer "plants" and try to get you to slip up. They would then fire you if you did. For techs they used to come in and claim they got a price from a service writer, and ask the tech to do the job on the side for less $$. If you agreed...fired. If you were young and dumb, you were gone. They got rid of tons of UTI graduates this way. For service writers the fake customers would come in knowing they didn't need brakes or something. Ask the service writer to bring it in. If they "found something" when something wasn't there... Fired.

I don't doubt the places you worked at did work on commission. I'm just saying they ones I worked for, didn't.
Oh ok, I apologize, I took your last post as saying that I was wrong and no service writer works on commission. Honest mistake.
Yea my last dealer did the same customer plant scenarios. They got several techs fired over stuff like that. Always was the idiots though, so I considered it cleaning house and taking out the trash. Rule #1 never **** where you eat, so taking business from my work is a huge no no.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for FORD service writers.