General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerchair Lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerchair Lift

If you guys can't come up with the answer to this, no one can. I currently drive a 1995 Ford F-150 XLT, the first truck and the best vehicle I have ever owned. I had to start using a Powerchair about a year ago. It's like a wheelchair, only more so. I had an exterior lift installed on the back of my truck and every thing has just been fine. I explored the one that lifts the chair over the side and sets the chair in the bed but my lift guy didn't recommend that one. I have started to think about buying a new vehicle. I really want to stick with the Ford F-150 but I thought I should be practical and buy a vehicle that allows me to transport by Powerchair inside. The problem is I don't see that many vehicles that will accommodate an inside lift and my powerchair, Pride Jazzy 1170 xl plus. I really want to stay with a Ford F-150, possibly with a cap(?), if not then another Ford product, and if not that an American made vehicle. Have any of you had any experiences along these lines, perhaps yourself or one of your relatives? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Were you in a manual chair before this? I recently had an accident and I'm paralyzed from the waist down and id love to keep my 95 f150 so I'm hoping its not too difficult to get me and the chair in.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If I recall I only seen folding chairs being used with SCAB or SCREW type trucks but not a power lift but did find this wild looking solution http://www.mobilityworks.com/go-shic...air-trucks.php

Power lifts I see typically used in vans or SUVs.

http://www.freedomsciences.com/index.asp

Curious what you two have now? Sorry to hear about your accident 95 and wish you both best of luck out there!

Last edited by Lord-of-Ford; 05-24-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 PM

I have a degenerative condition. I moved from many rest stops to a cane to a powerchair. I read your postings. You are much worse off than I. My issues are stability and pain. I can stand and walk short distances by hanging onto something. This means I can drive onto my lift at the back of the truck, stand up, raise the lift with its motor, tie down the chair, and walk to the drivers side while hanging onto the bed of the truck. My lift is a Harmar, I have had it since last summer and every thing is doing fine. I believe they have lifts that might make it possible for you to drive a modified F-150. The hardest thing is covering the chair when the weather is bad. Best of luck.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Proudly Canadian

Received 124 Likes on 113 Posts

I robbed this off of 95stepside's thread. But I believe this would be exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.bruno.com/vehicle-lift-powr-topper.html
Old 06-01-2011, 05:09 PM

Thanks, that Bruno site has just what I'll need. Now I'll have to buy a cheaper truck to afford the chair lift accoutrements. Getting old is not for sissies.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They make Power tailgates for pickup trucks that do the same thing.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 PM

Yes but the lift doesn't protect the chair during drive time.

Quick Reply: Powerchair Lift