General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power tail gate lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power tail gate lock

I'm not good with searching the forum, so maybe there is already a thread on this topic. I did a search for "tail gate lock", "tail gate", etc, didn't get much info.

I saw some people mentioning in some thread about installing a power latch to the tail gate so you can lock and unlock like the door. I would like to add that to my 2013 F150 SC as well. anyone has more info or can point me to a thread on how people did it?

Thanks a lot.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson-ohio
I'm not good with searching the forum, so maybe there is already a thread on this topic. I did a search for "tail gate lock", "tail gate", etc, didn't get much info.

I saw some people mentioning in some thread about installing a power latch to the tail gate so you can lock and unlock like the door. I would like to add that to my 2013 F150 SC as well. anyone has more info or can point me to a thread on how people did it?

Thanks a lot.
To be honest the search within the site itself sucks. next time try google but for your seach do this: site:f150forum.com Keyless Tailgate

The Site:f150forum.com forces google to search this specific site only. then add in your search topic after that.

https://www.google.ca/#fp=edadeefc47...yless+Tailgate

the very first search result is what you are looking for. There are essential two options. A pop and lock brand which is bolt on, or a standard actuator that you have to find a way to mount yourself. Then it's just wiring it up to your door locks.

Price difference is about $100 for the pop and lock and about $20 for the DIY option,.
The following 2 users liked this post by ianinedm:
Jason Barngrover (08-21-2013), Plainfield FX4 (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The pop and lock has all you need to do the lock actuator for the tailgate!!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this to my old Sport Track. I purchased just a simple electronic door actuator from ebay, mounted it in my tailgate and ran a wire to the door lock from the back door. I will end up doing this to my F150 too. It worked great and I did not have to worry about what was in the bed. Since I have no tonneau cover right now, this is not high on my list.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Here's a thread from this site from about a year ago..cheaper than a pop and lock unit. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/keyles...-73513/index2/
Old 09-01-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 168 Likes on 150 Posts

Put a Pop & Lock on today. Works great. Install wasn't bad but took longer than I expected. The mechanical was a breeze but the wiring was time consuming.

Got thinking about it and someone could potentially use the wires running to the gate to open the cab door. Might want to consider amour sheathing. But then again, they'd need to know what they were doing and most would get in anyway if they really wanted to.

Quick Reply: Power tail gate lock