General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with leveling

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with leveling

Hi, I just bought 2011 f150 fx4. I think this question will be dumb, but this is first time I own the truck. please help me. ^^ i'my trying to do leveling. what is the difference between spacers and shock looking, for leveling kit? what is the best option for leveling? 2" or 2.5"? and i'my trying to keep stock 18inch rim. what will be the best tires for them? I want aggressive look, but I usually drive highways a lot. and I want to be as safe as possible in the rain. thanks. ^_____^
Old 01-19-2017, 08:00 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

A leveling spacer is bolted on top of the strut assembly and will raise the front end depending on spacer thickness... leveling struts are adjustable in length to achieve desired front end height. Struts will require the coil springs to be compressed to remove and install the old and new struts. You could buy what is called "coil overs" which are a complete new coil spring and adjustable strut ready to bolt on. Which ever you decide to go with will require an Alignment after install. As for tires.. you sound like an all terrain A/T guy. Aggressive looking with highway friendly tread.. look at the new BFG KO2's.. very nice all round tire.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:21 PM

So what do you guys recommend? spacer or strut? 2"? 2.5"? What brand? what size tire size without trim? I have stock 18 wheel. thanks a lot~
Old 01-19-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Level spacers are cheap to buy and instal.

Lift struts are a lot more money but generally come with an improved ride, especially if you have higher miles with stock struts still under the truck. Install is about the same for both as the struts have to come out either way.

Since my suspension is old with very high miles I went with a lift strut with new coils. MY last truck I did level spacers.

Your call and either will work with stock wheels.

As for your tires, I would not go cheap. You don't have to buy the most expensive just do your research and find something you like with great reviews for longevity and strength against puncture.

FWIW
I went through this recently and narrowed my choice down to the Toyo and Cooper brand based on ratings. I went with the Cooper ST Maxx and am happy with them so far. I am off road a lot hunting and fishing and wanted to do all I can to avoid a puncture deep in the bush. So I leaned heavily on longevity and puncture resistance. I would have loved a mud tire for the look but they wear much faster and have poor performance on wet pavement and hard packed snow and ice. The ST Maxx was a nice mix of AT and Mud.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:27 PM

jumping on this thread....

Been looking at Spacers for easy (relative) installation.

Looking at 5100's (adjustable) how much more work? Was trying to find some install instructions
Old 01-23-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spacers are fairly simple to install. If you dont mind spending more you can get the adjustable bilstein 5100 shocks. I'm currently running a 2.5 inch level on my truck and my control arms rub against my front springs from time to time. Rough country is fairly inexpensive and does the job. 2 inch would probably be the best then again 2.5 just puts a little more added stress on the front suspension.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by testedone
jumping on this thread....

Been looking at Spacers for easy (relative) installation.

Looking at 5100's (adjustable) how much more work? Was trying to find some install instructions
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/bilste...ctures-135208/

The rear bilsteins aren't hard to install at all. On the front it unfortunately requires the spring to be compressed so you can replace the shock within the strut assembly. Another option is the Rancho quick lift strut assembly which you just prop right in and no spring compression is necessary.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:39 PM

I am just looking for an aesthetic change not for bigger tires at this point. I like the idea of the Bilsteins but I used to own a Jeep Wrangler that I did all the work on (6 inch lift, Dana 60 rear and Dana 44 front, etc. etc.)

Just a little burned out on vehicle work

My Local dealer said they would do a 2 inch level kit installed with alignment for $650.00
Old 01-23-2017, 01:46 PM

$650 may be a little bit high there, alignment should be no more than $130, I purchased a rough country 2.5 inch level and it came with front spacers and rear blocks along with shocks at $200. Took about 4-5 hours to install. Could've been done quicker (took my sweet time lol). It really depends on the kit they install. but front spacers are cake to install and so are are the rancho quick lift struts.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:59 PM

So you did this kit?

http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-lev...-kit-570c.html

Why go with a 2.5 inch with block and spacer vs. a 2 inch spacer alone up front?

Originally Posted by Marbos
$650 may be a little bit high there, alignment should be no more than $130, I purchased a rough country 2.5 inch level and it came with front spacers and rear blocks along with shocks at $200. Took about 4-5 hours to install. Could've been done quicker (took my sweet time lol). It really depends on the kit they install. but front spacers are cake to install and so are are the rancho quick lift struts.