Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please advise on ham radio install (power grab & firewall access)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default please advise on ham radio install (power grab & firewall access)

Hi,

My project is to install a 2m/440 radio in a 2007 F150 xlt 4x4. Part of my problem is my strong side has been temporarily winged by a wrist surgeon so my ability to climb into and under things has been compromised.

I need to grab 20 amp 12V power from a clean location, preferably not a battery post, and I need to run coax through a soft spot in the firewall. I'll figure out the radio mounting after I have the wiring run and have both hands back in action.

I would very much appreciate any pointers on breaching the firewall and clean power grabs. I tapped the power distribution module on my 1997 F150, but this 2007 looks foreign to me. Several posts described passenger side firewall grommets but the vehicle year wasn't mentioned. From under the hood all I see is foil covered insulation on the firewall.

Thanks in advance, Scott
KD0VRM
Old 10-13-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Scott,
What body style do you have? I had an '07 Super cab. Used a 2M/440 mag mount antenna right over the light on top of the cab. Brought coax in through the grommet you see when you open the rear door. Fed it down and under the plastic step pad and under the carpet. When you remove the plastic step pad there is a small grommet which goes through the bottom of the truck. brought in my 13.8vdc from the battery. Made my own mount out of 1/4" plexiglass and bolted it using the 2 bolts that hold down the center console. Not knowing the specifics of your truck don't know if this will help.

Just re-did the whole thing in my new 2011 XLT. Some things are different. But after 45 years as a ham, there is always a way to install the radio.

Fred K2DFC
Old 10-13-2013, 11:15 AM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

You should find a mounting/distribution post on the firewall that connects the battery power to the starter relay, at least that is how it was on my '01 F150. Buy yourself a few Anderson connectors and make your connection there. I did, and also made a really nice set of jumper cables from welding cables. Even can plug my inverter in to this connection to run powertools. There are many grommets in the firewall to punch through. Most are hard to access if you have a physical disability. Ask for some help.

I will eventually add this system to my '13 Limited as well. Just haven't had time to wire it in. Here's what the connectors look like and they come in varying amperage so pick the one that suites your needs.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:21 AM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FORDMAN
Scott,
What body style do you have? I had an '07 Super cab. Used a 2M/440 mag mount antenna right over the light on top of the cab. Brought coax in through the grommet you see when you open the rear door. Fed it down and under the plastic step pad and under the carpet. When you remove the plastic step pad there is a small grommet which goes through the bottom of the truck. brought in my 13.8vdc from the battery. Made my own mount out of 1/4" plexiglass and bolted it using the 2 bolts that hold down the center console. Not knowing the specifics of your truck don't know if this will help.

Just re-did the whole thing in my new 2011 XLT. Some things are different. But after 45 years as a ham, there is always a way to install the radio.

Fred K2DFC
Yep! I installed a Kenwood TM-V71a in my Limited and have temporary power using a 12 amp cigarette lighter plug I bought from Trash Shack. It was hot as hell and I got everything else properly and permanently installed except for the power. This will be done this fall. Even drilled the NMO mount!

Oh, he shouldn't need 20 amps for a 2m/440 rig.

Here's what I got so far.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 PM

Fordman & Crab *****, Thanks for the input. I spoke with the dealer by phone and they told me to lift the hood and look for a grommet with wires passing through the firewall just below the steering mechanism. I found the grommet, the wires are hidden by a corrugated wrapping of either plastic or metal. They said I could either use the grommet or drill an adjacent hole. I think I'm going to have to drill a hole just large enough for my antenna coupling to pass through. Their recommendation for grabbing power was from the fuse box inside the cab on the passenger side. They also advised me not to disconnect the power but rather to hook up to the post and add a second nut/washer. I like the idea but on first inspection I have yet to see where the power feed is on the fuse panel. I need to look again with better lighting.

Scott
2007 F150 Extended cab XLT 4x4
Old 10-16-2013, 05:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Be sure to ground it to the exiskeloton of the whole truck faraday cage, jk
Old 10-20-2013, 10:09 PM

Default exiskeloton

Originally Posted by CrazyOhio
Be sure to ground it to the exiskeloton of the whole truck faraday cage, jk
I plan to ground it to the truck frame then park my truck in the garage which is a giant microwave oven which should serve as a reverse faraday cage. Thanks for the reminder!

kd0vrm ;{)}
Old 10-22-2013, 02:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Who are you guys talkin to on these radios haha
Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Other licensed Amateur (Ham) Radio operators. Of which there are several hundred thousand in the U.S. alone.

Fred K2DFC
Old 10-22-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been looking into setting up a ham spot in my house and truck. Pretty neat stuff. Had a friend while in the Navy that had aMARS set up.

Quick Reply: please advise on ham radio install (power grab & firewall access)