General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking on uneven ground

Old 01-27-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Parking on uneven ground

Hi all,

A friend of mine was telling me to be careful when parking in my driveway because it is not even. My driveway is on a 2-axis 8-10% grade, meaning when the truck is parked, the passenger rear is lower (more extended) than the front driver side. His advice was based on the idea that the truck would eventually sag if continually parked it this way. Is there any validity to this?

Thanks

Kevin
Old 01-27-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I guess one could consider the long term creep characteristics of the spring steel used in the suspension, taking into effect the total amount of weight shift on one quadrant of the vehicle versus the rest.

I'd me more inclined to say it's not bloody likely unless it sat static for 20+ years.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:18 PM

Even then I don't know as that it would be significant.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

given your username, I hope your buddy was kidd'ing...
Old 01-27-2016, 01:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkidder
Hi all,

A friend of mine was telling me to be careful when parking in my driveway because it is not even. My driveway is on a 2-axis 8-10% grade, meaning when the truck is parked, the passenger rear is lower (more extended) than the front driver side. His advice was based on the idea that the truck would eventually sag if continually parked it this way. Is there any validity to this?

Thanks

Kevin
Your friend sounds like he is very **** or completely psychotic. My guess would be no sag unless you never move it as what user chickenwire had described. I would just tell your friend that you will rotate the truck around every other week. One week you'll pull it in forward and the next week you'll back it up in the driveway. Just to even things out. Don't let it bother you.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could always tell your friend that you asked on one of the truck forums, and they told you that as long as you rotate your oil once a month, you should be good. See if he gets the joke

The metal parts would probably take decades to show any issues. Softer parts, like any rubber in the suspension, yeah, maybe. If you're worried, do as others have suggested and back it into the parking spot sometimes.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by patbob
You could always tell your friend that you asked on one of the truck forums, and they told you that as long as you rotate your oil once a month, you should be good. See if he gets the joke

The metal parts would probably take decades to show any issues. Softer parts, like any rubber in the suspension, yeah, maybe. If you're worried, do as others have suggested and back it into the parking spot sometimes.
Or change the air in the tires frequently.
The following users liked this post:
130428 (01-28-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the advice! It is as I suspected, but just needed to hear the voice of sanity before I start doubting myself, taking out the laser level and adjusting fuel tank levels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking on uneven ground