General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake light stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking brake light stuck on

My parking brake light is stuck on, but the brake still holds. It went away when I tried to reverse with it on and then came right back. I've checked all the fluids and I'm still lost what do you think the problem is?
Old 01-18-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On my truck when I release the parking brake, the actual pedal doesn't release all of the way so I have to lift it up a half inch or so with my foot to make the light go off... You could be having the same issue and it would be an easy fix!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:44 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Check out the switch. It'll be located on the parking brake lever bracket somewhere. As BluePhoenix suggested, try to lift the pedal up a little bit. The return springs wear out over time.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by BluePhoenix
On my truck when I release the parking brake, the actual pedal doesn't release all of the way so I have to lift it up a half inch or so with my foot to make the light go off... You could be having the same issue and it would be an easy fix!
I'll try that, that would make sense
The following users liked this post:
Eric Collier (09-09-2019)
Old 01-20-2015, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by BluePhoenix
so I went to go try this, released the brake with out trying anything, and the light goes off. when I put it on and off again, it was back and pulling it proved fruitless as it is already as far as it can go. Starting to wonder about my sensors being bad, the manual says when the light comes on without the brake to service the brakes immediately
Old 01-20-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Check your brake fluid level. '99 Marquis had this problem, it was fluid level - pads are worn, takes more fluid to apply them.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by BurkeThePatriot
so I went to go try this, released the brake with out trying anything, and the light goes off. when I put it on and off again, it was back and pulling it proved fruitless as it is already as far as it can go. Starting to wonder about my sensors being bad, the manual says when the light comes on without the brake to service the brakes immediately
How far are you pushing down the pedal when you apply the parking brake? When I stomped the pedal to the floor on my 14 and tried to release it after work eight hours later, the brake would release, but the light would stay on. I'd have to mess with the pedal and release to get the light to go out. I've found that if I apply it with a bit less force, the light will go out every time while still holding the truck in place when applied. Try using less force, but enough so that the truck stays in place with the truck in neutral and the service brakes off.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just the light staying on or is the brake actually not releasing? My light only works intermittently, but the parking brake works just fine.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by one4uf
Is it just the light staying on or is the brake actually not releasing? My light only works intermittently, but the parking brake works just fine.
the brake light is stuck on
Old 02-23-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine not only stays on a lot, but it flashes rapidly sometimes....
Even better....
For a while, every now and then it would throw a fireworks show on my shoe when pressed. This is not a joke, it was enough that in the dark it lit up the floor board.
This is all electrical switch issues.
Now working on the actual mechanical parts of the parking brake, a whole story its self and I've pretty much gave up on trying to keep it working.

Quick Reply: Parking brake light stuck on