General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

original problem #5 spark plug misfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default original problem #5 spark plug misfire

Originally diagnosed as #5 sparkplug misfire. was cutting out when running. went and got parts and then it would not start..ruled the battery out.when it turns over there is no clicking sound like its the starter ,but more like an electric engine sound/whine....ANY THOUGHTS?

its an 05 5.4L V-8....thanks for the input....the truck was parked while I went to the parts store.When I came back it turned over once then it wouldnt turn over an I got the electric motor sound. From what I am gathering it is the bendex switch and ford is saying I can not replace just the switch,T or F? also with the earlier diagnosis of #5 spark plug misfire It could also be the coil pack....true or false? And does anyone know if there is a recall on this issue? PEP Boys said they think there is , and there has been problems with the spark plugs snapping off inside2005 FI50 SUPERCREW....51K MILES

Last edited by jerrythe1; 04-16-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: ADD UPDATE
Old 04-16-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

WOW! Was wondering if this was after the plugs were put in, or at the parts store comming home. A little confused, anyway it whines like an electric motor. If I'm correct there, it would seem like the bendix is not engaging the engine. Years back an engine would spin like crazy when the timing chain went out, as these engines have two chains don't think its that unless its a 4.2L V-6. Forgot what engine you said it was.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrythe1
Originally diagnosed as #5 sparkplug misfire. was cutting out when running. went and got parts and then it would not start..ruled the battery out.when it turns over there is no clicking sound like its the starter ,but more like an electric engine sound/whine....ANY THOUGHTS? 2005 FI50 SUPERCREW....51K MILES
Sounds like the starter solenoid. If you can get someone to turn the key while you listen to the starter, I'm sure you'll find the whining noise is your starter. You may have a broken starter or the starter solenoid may not be getting any juice. Your local autoparts store should be able to test your starter to rule that out.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:35 PM

its an 05 5.4L V-8....thanks for the input....the truck was parked while I went to the parts store.When I came back it turned over once then it wouldnt turn over an I got the electric motor sound. From what I am gathering it is the bendex switch and ford is saying I can not replace just the switch,T or F? also with the earlier diagnosis of #5 spark plug misfire It could also be the coil pack....true or false? And does anyone know if there is a recall on this issue? PEP Boys said they think there is , and there has been problems with the spark plugs snapping off inside
Old 04-19-2009, 12:27 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

The misfire on #5 very likely is the coil pack. They cost about $25 and take about 10 minutes to replace. I had one go out at 49K, and was initially getting symptoms that felt like a tranny problem until it became much worse and coded a misfire. There is an issue with plug removal and I suggest you bite the bullet and let the dealer replace them when the time comes. This isn't your typical spark plug maintenance job. I've never looked at the starter set-up on this truck, what are they telling you needs to be replaced?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:21 AM

I replaced the starter....and now the plug and coilpack..well easier said then done. I am buying a special socket to replace the plug plus I got some info on spark removal from ford....thanks for all the help....the starter was pretty easy the top bolt was the biggest problem..Seems like the built the truck around this bolt...lol...but got it done...

Quick Reply: original problem #5 spark plug misfire