Oil consumption questions - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > General F150 Discussion

Oil consumption questions

Old 07-25-2016, 02:51 AM   #1

Default Oil consumption questions

I recently picked up a nice 2003 F150 Heritage with a 5.4L, and 71k miles. The previous owner had oil changes done at the local dealer, who used Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend oil. I've put 3k miles on it so far.

About halfway through the 3k I've put on it, after an 8 hour trip to trailer a motorcycle home that I bought, I had to add a half quart. Then at 3k, I added about .25 qt. There is no smoking, no smoke / oil smell to the exhaust, and no oily film when I hold my hand in the exhaust gases.

1) Could anyone tell me if this should be considered normal or problematic?

2) Also, I'd like to switch to Pennzoil when I do the next oil change. Is there any issue of switching from synthetic blend to regular Pennzoil? I've heard in the past that it is not recommended to switch back and forth from full synthetic to regular oil, but I'm not sure if this is an issue to consider here.

3) If I do switch to Pennzoil, should I stay with 5w20, or considering the consumption I'm seeing, possibly move to 5w30, or 5w40, or possibly the High Mileage formulation?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JT

Click the image to open in full size.
Guitar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

-->
Old 07-25-2016, 03:57 AM   #2
5 Year Member

Many manufacturers will state not to "top off" the oil between oil changes. I've never understood why. It's excellent that you check it often like this.

5w-20 is an oil that is now recommended by many automotive manufacturers, as it helps in fuel economy; not much is seen by us, but over a fleet of vehicles, it helps them (manufacturers) meet the required fuel mileage average they have to obtain by the government.

I run 10w-30 high mileage synthetic in my 4.6 V8 F-150. It has 130K on it. I do not see the oil consumption that I used to when it had the 5w-20 in it.

There is a sticky thread at the top of the 2004 to 2008 forum pertaining to 5.4 V8's and the oils used for them. Read through that to see what other folks with that engine do.

2007 F150 STX Supercab (4.6 2V V8), Edge tuner, factory navigation, Mark VIII electric fan conversion with flex-o-lite controller.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #3

Go to 5w30 and try that, it won't hurt anything.
JCR 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Good that you check your oil level. Adding a half or 1/4 quart of oil is not necessary. Any where between the full and add marks is considered the operating level. I would go back to the recommended viscosity for your engine. Consuming a quart in a thousand miles used to be considered normal by the factories. I wouldn't be happy with that consumption but it wouldn't justify a rebuild.

2014 Screw FX4 Ruby Red, 402A, 3.5,5.5,3.55, BACFlip VP, Custom Cab, custom engine cover, Ford mud flaps
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miniceptor86 For This Useful Post:
Ricktwuhk (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Guy View Post
I recently picked up a nice 2003 F150 Heritage with a 5.4L, and 71k miles. The previous owner had oil changes done at the local dealer, who used Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend oil. I've put 3k miles on it so far.

About halfway through the 3k I've put on it, after an 8 hour trip to trailer a motorcycle home that I bought, I had to add a half quart. Then at 3k, I added about .25 qt. There is no smoking, no smoke / oil smell to the exhaust, and no oily film when I hold my hand in the exhaust gases.

1) Could anyone tell me if this should be considered normal or problematic?

2) Also, I'd like to switch to Pennzoil when I do the next oil change. Is there any issue of switching from synthetic blend to regular Pennzoil? I've heard in the past that it is not recommended to switch back and forth from full synthetic to regular oil, but I'm not sure if this is an issue to consider here.

3) If I do switch to Pennzoil, should I stay with 5w20, or considering the consumption I'm seeing, possibly move to 5w30, or 5w40, or possibly the High Mileage formulation?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JT

Click the image to open in full size.
1) Ford considers that normal and really 3/4 quart in 3000 miles isn't bad at all.

2) I don't believe there is any issue switching from semi synthetic to straight dino oil but I don't know why you would. Pennzoil makes semi-synthetic too. I run the full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum in mine. I would stick with a Motorcraft filter though. Cheap filters will cause a noisy start up.

3) 5w20 or 5w30 is fine. I run 5w30. IMO I would not run anything thicker than that.

You may also want to try adding a new PCV valve to see if that solves some of your consumption. Use a Motorcraft PCV only. The rest are junk for these motors. If you have a cold weather PCV on your truck they will want to sell you the whole system and it isn't cheap. EV-248 is the part number for the PCV with the cold weather system. You will be able to tell if you have the cold weather system if you have a loop around (and clipped to) the PCV.
2003 F150 4x4 FX4 (White): 5.4L, Custom Tuned Gryphon Programmer, DIY Air Intake Mod, Dual 16" Derale Tornado E-fans with DD PAC-2700 Fan Controller, Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Twin 18" Magnaflows, Factory Tech Separator Plate, F250 SD Trans Cooler, Digital Trans Temp Gauge, Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System, Mag-Hytech Rear Diff Cover.

Last edited by grizzstang; 07-25-2016 at 12:58 PM.
grizzstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzstang View Post
Pennzoil makes semi-synthetic too.
Grizzstang, I have not seen the Pennzoil synthetic blend. Can you show me which one that is?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, folks. I'm glad to know that a little bit of consumption is not too abnormal, and I will check the PCV.

I'm thinking that for now, I'll stay with the 5w-20, as recommended by the manual, and since I'm still only at 74k miles. Later on I may go to 5w-30, or a "high mileage" formula.

I'm still up in the air about staying with Motorcraft oil, but I'll likely switch to Pennzoil. I've used different brands of filters in the past, but if you guys like the Motorcraft filters, I'll likely use them.

JT
Guitar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #7

Here you go.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...oils/gold.html

The Motorcraft semi synthetic is highly rated by most. I do not know how the Pennzoil blend holds up against it so you may want to do some research.
2003 F150 4x4 FX4 (White): 5.4L, Custom Tuned Gryphon Programmer, DIY Air Intake Mod, Dual 16" Derale Tornado E-fans with DD PAC-2700 Fan Controller, Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Twin 18" Magnaflows, Factory Tech Separator Plate, F250 SD Trans Cooler, Digital Trans Temp Gauge, Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System, Mag-Hytech Rear Diff Cover.
grizzstang is offline   Reply With Quote