Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD II code P0420

Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OBD II code P0420

What does "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)" mean.This is what my OBD II code scanner reads when my check engine light is on and I need to know what it means.Thanks.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 AM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

The catalytic converter has an oxygen sensor in front and behind it. When the vehicle is warm and running in closed loop mode, the upstream oxygen sensor waveform reading should fluctuate. The downstream O2 sensor reading should be fairly steady. Typically the P0420 code triggers the Check Engine Light if the readings of the two sensors are similar. This is indicative of (among other things) a converter that is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.
Not sure if that helps you.... was taken from: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

Goes on to list possible causes, solutions and other info...
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW, if you're also getting codes that both banks are running lean, diagnose your fuel system first. I had all three codes and my fuel pump wasn't performing well. After putting in a new fuel pump, the lean conditions were corrected, and my cat is now performing normally.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try this first...

It means you've got a bad catalytic converter. I didn't want to spend money on my 10 year old truck on a new converter, so I tried this $5 solution and it worked! Took more time going and buying the defoulers than the work to get it installed. Oh yeah, rent the o2 sensor removal tool when you're buying the defoulers. Several thousand miles and still no check engine light:

Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

I have had that chose on two vehicles. On both if them, it was the O2 sensor, directly behind the catalytic convertor on the passenger side of the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD II code P0420