Sponsored by:

Noisy lifters.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 AM
wbstaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Noisy lifters.

Hi,

I have just finished overhauling the 351W engine in my truck, I cannot get the lifters (tappets) quiet, it sounds as if there are one or two faulty, any suggestions on replacements, it is a High Performance Engine, with Crane Hi lift cam Edelbrock headers and 4 barrel carb. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Billabong

1986 Lariat Explorer GLSOS (goes like sh#t off a shovel!)
Old 07-14-2009, 01:45 PM

This worked on my 5.4 L I put a bottle of CD2 in it and after about 100 miles the valves are quiet... However I still have that rough ratteling sound when starting the motor when it's cold..
Old 07-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Work to Do:

[quote=wbstaz;222370]Hi,

I have just finished overhauling the 351W engine in my truck, I cannot get the lifters (tappets) quiet, it sounds as if there are one or two faulty, any suggestions on replacements, it is a High Performance Engine, with Crane Hi lift cam Edelbrock headers and 4 barrel carb. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Looks like you need to get under the rocker covers and check all the lifters for proper lash adjustment. You don't say whether the
lifters are solid or hydraulic....if hydraulic, then one or more lifter(s) is pumped out all the way allowing some uncompensated lash.
If solid, then one or more has excessive lash.....and the high-lift cam doesn't help matters much.

One thing you might try is: Pull the rocker covers; start the engine at idle; using a stiff piece of hose press down hard on each rocker at the valve stem end.
If the tapping noise goes away or changes, that lifter/rocker has too much clearance which needs to be adjusted out for hydraulics and set to nominal clearance for solids.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:19 PM
wbstaz

Hi, sorry I should have mentioned they were hydraulic lifters, I get the the exact setting on all the tappets, but still cannot clear the noisy one or two, I will do as you suggest Kat and try a stiff rubber hose to see if I can find the noisy one(s). Thanks for your interest!!

Billabong.

Quick Reply: Noisy lifters.