Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No grab handles on driver's side?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No grab handles on driver's side?

I'm a newbee here who has owned an 07 XLT 4x4 screw since new. I just started shopping for a new F150 because I love the new engine choices but I went to get in the thing for a test drive(a 2013 XLT 4x4 screw) and there wasnt a grab handle on the driver's side!! I reached for it, out of a 6 year habit, but it wasnt there? It was very awkward getting in!! Is there anyway to retrofit the grab handle on the passenger's side to fit the driver's side? Or does someone in the aftermarket make one? This issue may have been addressed here a 100 times, and if so then I apologize, but I just couldnt believe there wasnt anything to grab onto to pull myself up into the truck except the steering wheel...the salesman didnt know why they had deleted it...thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Use the steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
MrDeplorableUSA (10-09-2023)
Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Black F-150 XLT SuperCrew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, you're correct, it has been discussed before....with no definite resolution for a fix.

A few have said that the handle is not there due to an air bag being in that location.
However that's incorrect, because the driver and front seat passenger both have the same kind of air bag protection, and yet there's still a grab handle on the passenger side pillar.
I believe the most reasonable explanation I've heard so far is that it was a cost cutting measure, with Ford engineers assuming the driver's grab handle is redundant because the steering wheel can be used as a grab handle.

Although I weigh about 160 pounds, and getting into my truck is pretty easy for me anyway, I would still prefer to have the grab handle on the driver's side pillar as Ford had on the previous series of the F-150's.

1) It's a more ergonomic location for a grab handle, instead of using the steering wheel as a makeshift grab handle.
2) The steering wheel is not designed to be pulled from the side and used as a grab handle on a daily basis.
3) From an aesthetic standpoint, it even looks better and more in balance to have a grab handle on each side, instead of having one on the passenger side and nothing on the driver's side.

Regarding #2 above, it might not make much difference if a guy of my weight occasionally grabs the steering wheel from the side while getting into the truck, but there are a lot of guys out there a lot bigger than me who drive these trucks.
I just don't think it's a good idea for a 220...230 pound guy, etc., to be pulling the steering wheel laterally on a daily basis, over and over again.
Getting rid of that grab handle was a stupid cost cutting procedure on the part of Ford.

One of the mods I plan on doing with my 2010 F-150 is to figure out some way to retro fit a grab handle onto the driver's side pillar, and have it look as good as if it came from the factory with it.

Greg
Old 06-30-2013, 04:32 PM

That's what I had to do but it was just very awkward! It feels like you're pulling on something that isn't supposed to hold your weight, plus, just the position of the steering wheel vs the grab handle on the A pillar on my 07 just isn't nearly as effective! I'm sure there are many other guys who owned 04-08 f150s who don't like this either, so I was just wondering if anyone had figured out a solution that looks halfway decent?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:50 PM

Hey Greg, you hit the nail on the head with all three points! It does look way better with one on either side, to guys like you and I anyway, who like things to be symmetrical. I weigh 190lbs and I feel like i'm too big to be pulling on the steering wheel everyday, much less guys in the 220-230 range and some I'm sure way bigger. I think you're right, the bean counters must have gotten us! Let me know if you come up with a solution that at least looks close to stock, and I'll do the same; unless someone else out there has already done it?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:01 PM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by proverbs2221
I'm a newbee here who has owned an 07 XLT 4x4 screw since new. I just started shopping for a new F150 because I love the new engine choices but I went to get in the thing for a test drive(a 2013 XLT 4x4 screw) and there wasnt a grab handle on the driver's side!! I reached for it, out of a 6 year habit, but it wasnt there? It was very awkward getting in!! Is there anyway to retrofit the grab handle on the passenger's side to fit the driver's side? Or does someone in the aftermarket make one? This issue may have been addressed here a 100 times, and if so then I apologize, but I just couldnt believe there wasnt anything to grab onto to pull myself up into the truck except the steering wheel...the salesman didnt know why they had deleted it...thanks in advance for your help!!
I don't understand why people need a grab handle unless they are flying into the cabin.

I have never used it or needed it, nor have I needed to grab the steering wheel to get in (as someone said not a good idea long term).

IMO it just gets in the view of driving.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

It's a steering wheel, not a Tulip. You can grab it without fear.
The following users liked this post:
Curveman (04-26-2014)
Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Ford Tough

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Its not really a big deal, and shouldn't be a big factor in buying a new truck.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:01 PM
BMD

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

It helps to have it when you have a 6" lift I assure you
The following 4 users liked this post by BMD:
FJRunner (07-12-2013), Jkry2121 (09-19-2017), Slanky19 (09-10-2023), ZBoater (04-27-2014)
Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 PM
BMD

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GregConn
Yes, you're correct, it has been discussed before....with no definite resolution for a fix.

A few have said that the handle is not there due to an air bag being in that location.
However that's incorrect, because the driver and front seat passenger both have the same kind of air bag protection, and yet there's still a grab handle on the passenger side pillar.
I believe the most reasonable explanation I've heard so far is that it was a cost cutting measure, with Ford engineers assuming the driver's grab handle is redundant because the steering wheel can be used as a grab handle.

Although I weigh about 160 pounds, and getting into my truck is pretty easy for me anyway, I would still prefer to have the grab handle on the driver's side pillar as Ford had on the previous series of the F-150's.

1) It's a more ergonomic location for a grab handle, instead of using the steering wheel as a makeshift grab handle.
2) The steering wheel is not designed to be pulled from the side and used as a grab handle on a daily basis.
3) From an aesthetic standpoint, it even looks better and more in balance to have a grab handle on each side, instead of having one on the passenger side and nothing on the driver's side.

Regarding #2 above, it might not make much difference if a guy of my weight occasionally grabs the steering wheel from the side while getting into the truck, but there are a lot of guys out there a lot bigger than me who drive these trucks.
I just don't think it's a good idea for a 220...230 pound guy, etc., to be pulling the steering wheel laterally on a daily basis, over and over again.
Getting rid of that grab handle was a stupid cost cutting procedure on the part of Ford.

One of the mods I plan on doing with my 2010 F-150 is to figure out some way to retro fit a grab handle onto the driver's side pillar, and have it look as good as if it came from the factory with it.

Greg

Let me know if you find a way.

Quick Reply: No grab handles on driver's side?