Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Truck Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Truck Shopping

Hello guys.

I am in the market for a new truck. I currently own 2 2005 Nissan Titan se's, both 4wd, one KC and the other a CC (my wife's). I will be selling off my truck the KC. Not because the truck is wore out but because we flip flop car payments and well the timing is right. She has 223K miles and still runs strong.

I have a my eye a few 2014 F-150XLT's 4wd 5.0L. These trucks come with everything I need and want. They are being offered at clearance prices well below invoice so the price is right as well.

Now my questions.

1. what kind of real world problems can I be facing? I keep my trucks for a very long time.

2. Towing, I tow 8000lb travel trailer. I know the tow rating is there but can the truck actually do it?

3. any way to get a better transmission tune? Just test driving these trucks the transmission seems to lack responsiveness that I am use to.

4. real word MPG. I bought my Titan brand new on a Sunday and she went to work on Monday. I get 14.6 around town and 18hwy. I am not looking for a miracle just truth.

5. air intake, exhaust and OBD tuner would come soon. Do these help MPG, Hurt MPG or cause problems. With the Titan a true dual exhaust hurt the bottom end a little but add the OBD turner and AI and she comes to life.

if your wondering why not another Titan. Well the price isn't where it should be and they really arranged the packages to where you have to get all these upgrades just to get a tow package and that drives the price through the roof. Price is why I bough my Titan and Price is why I will not buy one this time.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shane06fl
Hello guys.

I am in the market for a new truck. I currently own 2 2005 Nissan Titan se's, both 4wd, one KC and the other a CC (my wife's). I will be selling off my truck the KC. Not because the truck is wore out but because we flip flop car payments and well the timing is right. She has 223K miles and still runs strong.

I have a my eye a few 2014 F-150XLT's 4wd 5.0L. These trucks come with everything I need and want. They are being offered at clearance prices well below invoice so the price is right as well.

Now my questions.

1. what kind of real world problems can I be facing? I keep my trucks for a very long time.

2. Towing, I tow 8000lb travel trailer. I know the tow rating is there but can the truck actually do it?

3. any way to get a better transmission tune? Just test driving these trucks the transmission seems to lack responsiveness that I am use to.

4. real word MPG. I bought my Titan brand new on a Sunday and she went to work on Monday. I get 14.6 around town and 18hwy. I am not looking for a miracle just truth.

5. air intake, exhaust and OBD tuner would come soon. Do these help MPG, Hurt MPG or cause problems. With the Titan a true dual exhaust hurt the bottom end a little but add the OBD turner and AI and she comes to life.

if your wondering why not another Titan. Well the price isn't where it should be and they really arranged the packages to where you have to get all these upgrades just to get a tow package and that drives the price through the roof. Price is why I bough my Titan and Price is why I will not buy one this time.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.
I just purchased a 2014 xlt 4x4 xlt reg cab with e-loc rear, 5.0 coyote, 3.55 gear, Michelin tires, satellite radio, spray in bed liner and got it for just under 30,000 before my trade in and it has the tow package. I have not towed a load yet but my boss has the same truck but its a crew cab and I towed a 42,000 lb loaded auger truck 3 miles down the road and it handled it and I was amazed by that but would not do it with my tuck but very happy so far with my truck and the 5.0 will move down the road.

New Truck Shopping-forumrunner_20140901_204009.jpg
Attached Thumbnails New Truck Shopping-forumrunner_20140901_203641.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
shane06fl (09-03-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 168 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by shane06fl

Doesn't get any more real than this! Everything's stock. Fuel has been 87 E10.

New Truck Shopping-19_1-mpg-1.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by depami:
shane06fl (09-03-2014), Wanted33 (09-03-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

If you are towing 8,000 lbs you should consider the ecoboost. Will out pull yourvtitan hands down. The 5.0 may feel a little sluggish down low compard to the Titan. Either the Eco or 5 oh should match or better the Titan mpg.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
If you are towing 8,000 lbs you should consider the ecoboost. Will out pull yourvtitan hands down. The 5.0 may feel a little sluggish down low compard to the Titan. Either the Eco or 5 oh should match or better the Titan mpg.
That is another thing I am considering. I know the Ford guys don't want to hear it but the Titan is a towing machine. Where the Engine makes it's TQ is around 3500-3800RPM's. It makes 80% TQ below 1800rpm. BUT, dies off on top end drastically. From what I can tell the 5.0L makes the TQ way high in the RPM range.

The only thing that scares me about the Ecoboost is the Ecoboost. I tend to run my vehilces for maximum mileage or until they start giving me trouble. How many Ecoboost are running around with more that 100K on them? Not sure if they have been proven in that aspect yet.

I get 9-10mpg pulling my TT depending on the terrain and how hard I push it.

I did drive two F-150's this morning and I liked both trucks fine but they numbers were just tooooooo far off. Of course they will not give me anything for my truck in trade. I will have my truck up for sale as soon as my replacement Title comes in.

So far I driven
3 '13 F-150's
1 F250 6.7L Too much money damn it
'13 Chevy Z71 Loaded to the gills. Damn nice truck with push rod 5.3L. Just seems weak to me
'13 Tundra, gawd such an ugly truck. Power is great but ugly a sin JMHO.

as more 2015's get sold more 2014's will come up used with low miles and even some left over 2014's. That is when I will likely make a purchase.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're gonna be towing 8,000lbs i'd for sure look at the max tow package to at least get some 3.73s in which ever trim you get. Even not towing with my 5.0 3.55 i wish i had just a bit taller gear. The eco makes great tq down low which would be awesome for your trailer, and if you can stay out of the turbo range when cruising unloaded, you can get pretty good MPGs. with my FX4 5.0 i was right at 18mpg hwy at 75-78mph, and combined to and from work it's around 16.8mpg.
The following users liked this post:
shane06fl (09-04-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If your trailer 8000# dry or wet? 8k dry would be a lot for an F150. If you are going to tow that much regularly, make sure you get the max tow and necessary equipment. My truck handles my 6500 lb travel trailer just fine, but I wouldn't want to go too much heavier.

The EB tows really well. And that is from someone coming from a Duramax. If you like the low torque of the Titan, you'd love towing w/ the EB. I'm sure you'll get 2+ better mpg with the 5.0 or EB compared to the Titan.

Quick Reply: New Truck Shopping