Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new fords seem to be tough!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The new fords seem to be tough!

Hey all

Just looking into the 04' and newer f-150's and all the reports on them from members on this site. I am looking for a first good truck because im 20 and just got a good job. Im trying to decide between the tundra (1st generation) and the f-150, but the tundra seems to have lots of problems with exhaust manifolds and breaks, but not too much on the ford. Just looking for a good truck that wont let me down and I wont have alot of money to throw around for repairs all the time.

So far from what I have searched and looked at, these trucks dont seem to have any trouble.

The only thing I have noticed is the need to have the 4x4 solenoid covered to keep water from getting in, other than that, preety much nothing. Unless im missing something?

Can these trucks really be that good, with only one minor and easily fixed problem, or is there anything else I should look out for.

Also, im primarily looking for an FX4 supercab.

Thanks!!
Old 04-10-2008, 04:49 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

We had a Tundra bring in a blazer on a trailer today. The rear of that Tundra was sagging BAD!!! I was not able to get inside and grab my phone fast enough before they unloaded it. I pulled a Fullsized 4x4 Chevy and my truck did not sag anywhere near as bad. I also have a heavier trailer.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:57 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site!! These trucks are definitely some tough beasts. Last April I bought a 2007 SuperCrew 5.4 v8 2WD and I've taken it off-roading alot and the suspension still rides stock. I have to admit that I've beat this thing up pretty bad taking it through mud, sand, and to the beach several times and with a good wash and the paint still shines like the day I bought it.

This truck has really surprised me in the toughness factor. I can honestly say that I'll be buying another Ford truck when this one bites the dust.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 PM

I have an 04 lariat supercab and I love it. The more I read about the Ford trucks and do research on the competitors, Its obvious why they are the best selling truck. If you go look at a f-150 and a tundra. crawl under and look at the frame. The tundra has wimpy leafs springs that are half the width of the f-150 and the tundra frame is held together with rivots. The tundra 5.7L 4x4 has a lot of problems and they have a bed bounce problem too. Most likely do to their flimsy frame. If I were to buy any other truck than a f-150, it would be the f-250. Attak998, you need to see the video of the truth about trucks! You can find it on the ford website.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:53 PM

they are that tough. It'd be hard to find any truck for the smae price at that durability. the bestselling feature is there for a reason.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:42 PM

I just picked up my first F150 (04 FX4 ext cab) for $15k with 37000 miles on it and I am pleased with it. I have owned a Toyota 4 runner and several Jeeps before. I am done with Jeeps! Great off road vehicles, but terrible daily drivers. Toyota on the other hand makes a great vehicle both on and off the road. The 03 4 runner I had was a great vehicle and the Tundra is built on the same chasis and uses the same driveline as the runner. But I have not heard good reviews about the Tundra.
Check the price too. I am willing to bet you can't find a Tundra within 4-5k of a comparable f150. At least in SE Michigan you can't.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:27 AM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

One semi major problem you will want to research is the spark plugs...they tend to cause problems when you go to replace them....do a search on here and u will see. Other than that I really havent heard of a lot of problems.

Oh and some complain about the ticking noise the 04 and up can produce. This is supposedly the cam phasers and/or the loud fuel injectors...from what I have read its just a noise and doesnt really cause any problems...but thats just what I have gathered. Mine kinda has a little bit of a tick at idle...almost sounds kinda like a really quiet diesel engine...
Old 04-12-2008, 04:21 AM

Morning Attak998,

goto Youtube and look up "Truth about trucks". There is some very interesting stuff about all the trucks out there.

I must admit, I will never purchase anything else but a Ford truck after seeing what was there.

Mitch
Old 04-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Thumbs up My New Truck

I finaly went and got a 2008 super cab. FX4 with the 5.4L, i had a 2003 F-150 2-wheel drive. I do cunstruction and my truck is loaded 5 days a week, this truck handles the load very well, i am glad i bought it.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:37 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice lookin truck Woodman!!!

And I like the grilles on the 08's Mitch!!! I saw one yesterday and couldn't stop staring at it. I saw the driver and he was kinda smilin' because I think he knew I was staring at the front of his truck.

Quick Reply: The new fords seem to be tough!