Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Tires for Winter, Any Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Tires for Winter, Any Recommendations?

Hi guys, I just bought a 2002 F-150 XLT (see full specs on my introductions post)

Winters here in the north country are pretty brutal and that's why I'm glad I got a 4x4, but the tires are about 40% tread, which will only be good in summer. I need to purchase some good winter tires, but I'm on a limited budget...

My dad just got big BF Goodrich's on His 2011 tundra. His rims are 18", I think the tire is a P275/65/R18

Mine are 17" rims and quite inconveniently I can't check exactly what they are right now.

My dads cost him about $1,000 bucks. Is there any chance I can get a winter set for a bit less than that?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Cooper discovery m&s tires are good, but no matter how you look at it, you're gonna be close to a grand for four new tires in Canada. I shopped around extensively. P rated tires will be a bit less, and I tend to buy LT tires for work. I got cooper AT3's, which aren't a very good serious winter tire, in 17" for about $1100 last year, in LT (285/75 I think). Great off road and in loose gravel, on dry and wet pavement, but completely useless on ice and deep snow.

You can look for off brands (GT Radial, Savaro) I've used them all for the work trucks. Anything is better then a summer tire in the snow (that's right boys, all season= spring/summer/fall not winter). Even the AS tires with the mountain snowflake symbol are less then stellar in real snow. A dedicated snow tire makes all the difference in the world.

Ian
Old 09-01-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

I run dedicated snow tires on my trucks, Cooper M+S studded, Firestone winterforce studded and Bridgestone blizzaks i have those three and i'm very happy with them.

from the sounds of it though your looking for a tire you can use year round though?

Last edited by AK49FordTruck; 09-01-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Where is the "north" country? Some think I live waayyy up north!LOL
Anyway, there is a brand, Mastercraft, and they're made by Cooper, but less expensive. I've got the AXT's on my little Ranger, 265/75/16's, and to be truthful though, I've only had them in a moderate snowfall, about 6", but they did pretty good, not even close to any problem, and it's only 2WD.
Just an idea.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thislilfishy
Cooper discovery m&s tires are good, but no matter how you look at it, you're gonna be close to a grand for four new tires in Canada. I shopped around extensively. P rated tires will be a bit less, and I tend to buy LT tires for work. I got cooper AT3's, which aren't a very good serious winter tire, in 17" for about $1100 last year, in LT (285/75 I think). Great off road and in loose gravel, on dry and wet pavement, but completely useless on ice and deep snow.

You can look for off brands (GT Radial, Savaro) I've used them all for the work trucks. Anything is better then a summer tire in the snow (that's right boys, all season= spring/summer/fall not winter). Even the AS tires with the mountain snowflake symbol are less then stellar in real snow. A dedicated snow tire makes all the difference in the world.

Ian
Thanks for the info, ill take a look!

Originally Posted by AK49FordTruck
I run dedicated snow tires on my trucks, Cooper M+S studded, Firestone winterforce studded and Bridgestone blizzaks i have those three and i'm very happy with them.

from the sounds of it thought your looking for a tire you can use year round though?
Yes I'm hoping to get something I can use year round, but with at least decent performance on country roads in the winter....
Old 09-01-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

The cooper M&S will work all year round. I ran mine for two full years in the work truck, for about 100K Km's. Keeping mind the second winter they won't work quite as good, but they held up to the summer heat cycle very well, with no excessive sway or softness even under work loads. Again, I buy LT tires that have a stiffer sidewall and tread area.

Ian
The following users liked this post:
ChrisJRab (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Thislilfishy
The cooper M&S will work all year round. I ran mine for two full years in the work truck, for about 100K Km's. Keeping mind the second winter they won't work quite as good, but they held up to the summer heat cycle very well, with no excessive sway or softness even under work loads. Again, I buy LT tires that have a stiffer sidewall and tread area.

Ian
Sounds good, ill check them out. Thanks Ian!

Quick Reply: Need Tires for Winter, Any Recommendations?