Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need New Suspension: Bilstein 5100's? Rancho Adjustables?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New Suspension: Bilstein 5100's? Rancho Adjustables?

I'm thinking about ordering the Bilstein 5100 shock kit, front and rear.

I have a 2004 f150 XLT 4WD. it has 140k miles on the stock suspension. it still rides good, but i want to upgrade and level out the front.

If i go with the Bilsteins what coil springs should i get for the front? I'm sure the oem springs, with 140k miles, are worn out now and i want to change them since theyre going to be off anyway. rock-auto has coil springs, but there's so many to choose from and i don't know what brand or type to get. any input?

how about the rear? is it recommended to change the leaf springs or modify them?

should i get any new bushings while im in there doing the front and rear suspension work? the suspension seems tight still and ive had the truck since it had 10k miles and it was never really abused.

i decided on the 5100 series shocks/struts because i need new shocks/stuts and i wanted to level the truck without spacers. plus the 4 shocks are about $350 which is a good deal considering.

my truck is used as my DD, to haul my 25ft boat, and occasional offroading for fun on the weekends.

would you recommend the 5100's? or maybe something else? i also seen the rancho suspension set that comes with the front struts preloaded already, plus the shocks are adjustable via a ****. The only reason i wasnt going to go with the ranchos was my concern with the quality compared to the bilsteins. plus the cost more, but they might end up being around the same price after i buy new coil springs for the bilsteins and possibly strut mounts.

im new to the forum and would appreciate some input on what suspension set up i should go with without spending too much.

frank
Old 11-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Rancho 7000MT are a monotube and are probably higher quality than the 9000's.

If you got the dough, try out the Fox shox.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannafbody
Rancho 7000MT are a monotube and are probably higher quality than the 9000's.

If you got the dough, try out the Fox shox.
how much do the fox shox go for and where do you get them from?

i was looking to spend more in the 4-600$ range for shocks/strusts/new coil springs
Old 11-25-2014, 12:06 AM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

For 400-600 dollars the Bilstein or Rancho's are your options.

Quick Reply: Need New Suspension: Bilstein 5100's? Rancho Adjustables?