General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Expierence With Recon Thus Far

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 221 Likes on 141 Posts
Default My Expierence With Recon Thus Far

Ok, so today I revived my smoked led 3rd brake/cargo light.
Relatively easy install, some wire striping, splicing, etc.
Lighting is good, can't say much for what it looks like on the truck in the day as I installed it while dark. So I'll put some pics up in the morning.

So all this sounds good and well BUT

I was on the brink on returning it. It was packaged horribly. The plastic casing was cracked, the protective film was mangled around the product not protecting anything, and I noticed some minor scuffs and scratches on the housing. Normally I'm a perfectionist and wouldn't bother installing because of this but my friend sad let it go and just do it. I'm also concerned about the seal. Unlike the OEM housing, the recon is not flush with the truck. It sticks out a bit due to the seal they've made. I'm anxious to see if it holds up to weather and how it affects the look of the truck. And also of course if the lights continue to work.

By now everyone should know recon has a dodgy "hit or miss" reputation. Some people have no problems, some people have endless.
I can't say that I recommend the product yet, but I don't not recommend it either.

I've got smoked led mirror signals also on the way so I'll see how those turn out. Then on to the taillights. I'm stuck between Anzo and recon for that and really it all depends how my recon experience continues.

Pics in the AM
Old 09-30-2013, 11:57 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the same light for my 2008. Water tight seal for me, packaging came nicely BUT within a year all but one row of the white LEDs burnt out and they refused to warranty saying I was expired which was BS. I'd never buy from recon again
Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I check out their site on occasion and they appear to have some nice products but they are a bit too rich for my blood.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:41 AM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTallest
I check out their site on occasion and they appear to have some nice products but they are a bit too rich for my blood.
Their price is far higher then their quality of product. They have a 90 day warranty on their products so that should be an indication they don't back/trust their products. Their stuff is hit and miss for sure but looks good on their shiny website.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 AM

Very true. Too much money for too low quality. I've only had it for 24 hours so I can't vouch accurately yet. But I am nervous. Leaning towards Anzo if anything happens to these and for taillights

Last edited by RRSport; 10-01-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 AM

Anyway here it is. Sorry there's only one pic of the actual lights, and not even the brake lights at that. iPhone doesn't really show the light well anyway.
Attached Thumbnails My Expierence With Recon Thus Far-image-3714597639.jpg   My Expierence With Recon Thus Far-image-2960217244.jpg   My Expierence With Recon Thus Far-image-2422986936.jpg   My Expierence With Recon Thus Far-image-1003941259.jpg  
Old 10-01-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf_FX4
Very true. Too much money for too low quality. I've only had it for 24 hours so I can't vouch accurately yet. But I am nervous. Leaning towards Anzo if anything happens to these and for taillights
Funny you should mention them. I bought tail lights from them. First set had condensation build up issues so I returned them 2nd set came with one lens cracked I returned them for a refund I wasn't prepared to go for strike 3. AnzoUSA just imports them none of it is made in the US. I ended sticking my stock OEM ones back in and haven't looked back. Hope you have better luck with aftermarket garbage lights my advice save your money for better mods.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Wow really? Well not like Recon doesn't outsource either. Seems like Spyder has best quality but is a nightmare trying to get.

Thing with the Anzo lights vs the recons assuming the quality is the same is that the Anzos have resistors in them where as recon you must install them.

I'm doing this because I want an entire led setup and I'm not a fan of the OEMs
Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf_FX4
Wow really? Well not like Recon doesn't outsource either. Seems like Spyder has best quality but is a nightmare trying to get.

Thing with the Anzo lights vs the recons assuming the quality is the same is that the Anzos have resistors in them where as recon you must install them.

I'm doing this because I want an entire led setup and I'm not a fan of the OEMs

I was in the same boat as you. I wasn't a big fan of the OEM taillights but after hearing the track record of RECON and their 90 day warranty I thought like you and gave Anzo a try and they offered one year warranty so I thought they must be better. Yeah, no. Junk, so as I said back to OEM I went. (FYI Spyder is hit and miss too same build quality as the others). I just threw in the towel and I'll wait to see what the 2014 OEM lights look like if any changes at all I'm stuck with OEM ones then. I've got my retrofitted HID heads on order and I'm in the build que for next month.

Well feel free to play the tail light lottery I really hope you win I sure didn't and I won't lower my standards and silicone my lights or live with LED's that burn out shortly after installation. I liked the look of the Anzo lights and they were very bright until the condensation set in I didn't even install the cracked pair. Here's a pic of what they looked like so you know I'm not just blowing hot air:

Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Thanks for all the info. I just got blown away from an email from recon. Super polite and courteous and apologetic. I'm really amazed. Impressed to be honest. Clamped he won't personally oversee my next order and this one if I wanted to return it. This could be bs but at the moment they've got my attention. A truck place up here sells the Anzos and the owner has them, he loves them and no problems. Stuck between a hard place here

Quick Reply: My Expierence With Recon Thus Far