General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG Computer

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MPG Computer

My 2005 does not have the information center, but my old Taurus did and I miss it dearly. In particular, I liked knowing what my MPG was (I was a little obsessive about it, even though I never drove in a way to improve it). These days, I'm becoming obsessed about my MPGs again and I'm looking for a plugin aftermarket display that can give me instantaneous and average fuel economy. I know that I could easily Google this myself, but I'm not sure what term to search for. I'm looking for one that is accurate, but definitely cheap. I found one on accident that is $158 (far abovewhat I am willing to spend), but it also gives HP, coolant temps, engine speeds, cost/mile, trouble codes, etc. I'm primarily concerned about MPGs. I want to watch this baby until I know exactly what gets what I want out of it. Any help would be AWESOME!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

well I found an add on for about 100 bucks its nothing like the Taurus one but it sould do the trick. you can always just sell the truck and get your old car back. trucks are never going to be good on mpgs
Amazon Amazon

and this one too same deal.
Amazon Amazon

i recommend the Kiwi myself its much more then a mpg monitor.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:45 PM

I really am only concerned about MPGs. Other stuff is nice, but unnecessary. I'm not selling the truck. I know it'll get poor mileage, but I was getting 19.2 mpg in the Taurus. If I can approach that in the truck, I can be a very happy man.

Btw, do either of those offer instantaneous mpg? And I think I've seen apps on the Android market that offer the same info, provided you have the special connector. Has anybody seen these too/have these because I can't find them.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have an android phone?

If so then you could download the torque app for free then buy the $20 ELM327 bluetooth dongle and that tells you all that stuff!

Works on my 06 FX4.

The edge Evo does this as well. But it's ~300-400 bucks.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:51 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

the kiwi does have instantaneous mpg readings. avg and exact. the only other ones i could find were the old school visor paper ones lol
and im sure theres an app for that LOL
Old 05-28-2011, 12:05 AM

Hey Justin, I'm not seeing MPGs on that Torque app. Does it support it and he just didn't list it on the description? All the rest of that information is irrelevant to me. If the truck runs like I feel it should, then all I'm concerned about is squeezing mileage out of my driving habits. I've heard of trucks just adoring 85 mph. I doubt mine does, but whatever it adores, I intend to deliver.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:08 AM

Yes, it does. The free torque app does do MPGS. I have the bluetooth dongle and the free torque app.

I now have the 5 dollar app now because it have more options like 0-60 and such.

You're gonna need one of these though.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...All-Categories

The Kiwi is cool. But the bluetooth dongle ($20-25) plus Torque (free or $4.99) is your cheapest route.

I do like that Kiwi thing though.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:10 AM

Average MPGs? Instant MPGs? Per tank MPGs?

Sorry to be a critical dick, but money is super tight and I can't waste any money, including on gas.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jmfalcon1
Average MPGs? Instant MPGs? Per tank MPGs?

Sorry to be a critical dick, but money is super tight and I can't waste any money, including on gas.
I don't know about per tank but yes Instant and Average MPGs.

I always reset my trip meter when I fill up so I watch that. I doesn't do the cool XXX miles to empty thought. My mom's edge does that. I love it. haha
Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 AM

I used to live by MPG til empty. Drive that sucker dry. I'm messing with the app without the dongle right now. Where do I see mpg?

Quick Reply: MPG Computer