Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcraft part made in China?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Motorcraft part made in China?????

Went to buy a new idler pulley for my 1993 Bronco 5.0L. I've been having belt squeaking issues, and the old belt is cracked, so I figured why not replace the idler pulley(which has slight scarring) and tensioner when I'm doing the swap. I know the tensioner's bad, but why not kill two birds with one stone?

So, I hopped over to RockAuto. I want this truck to last, it only has 117K on it, so I figured better go hard or go home and ordered Motorcraft instead of the other, cheaper, options.

I got the parts in today, the tensioner looks good, made of nice metal, basically it was a new version of what was on the truck. It was made in Canada, but there are tons of Ford trucks in Canada, so a part from there or even Mexico doesn't seem odd.

I get the idler, Oh boy!! I think to myself. A nice metal replacement for the pulley currently on the truck!! After all, I payed primo for it, at least twice as much as the cheapest option, it's gotta be the same as the one currently on the truck right?!!? At least made in North or South America right?!??

WRONG!! It was made of plastic and made in China. It doesn't even look half as durable as the factory part. Now, granted, this particular part was only $18 on RockAuto, but they want $30 for it at the dealership and I'm sure this isn't the only part they've shipped overseas. Why are we paying so much for Motorcraft parts, when some aren't even the same factory parts, and they're not at least made on this continent? Why does everyone hold these parts to such high esteem?

Maybe I'm a little behind the curve on this knowledge, but I don't usually buy factory parts. With all the hype they get, I expect factory parts to BE factory parts.

Last edited by me1234; 02-15-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's interesting, went to get a trans filter the other day and the auto shop guy told me that motorcraft receives the filter from another company and rebrands it as their own. What I do know is that I've had fitment issues with products that aren't motocraft. What you're saying is completely understandable though.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Factory part only means "factory installed". I bet half of every truck has parts that were not made in the good ole USA. If you think every part on your F150 was made in North or South America, I feel bad for you.

OEM is "original equipment manufacturer", that could mean manufactured in China for instance.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Summers22
Factory part only means "factory installed". I bet half of every truck has parts that were not made in the good ole USA. If you think every part on your F150 was made in North or South America, I feel bad for you.

OEM is "original equipment manufacturer", that could mean manufactured in China for instance.
I'm aware that many parts were made overseas originally, many in China, even though I'd prefer they weren't. My main point is this new Motorcraft pulley, quite frankly, looks like a POS compared to the one currently in the Bronco. The new part may fit into the old part's slot, but I doubt the new one will last 23 years.

Last edited by me1234; 02-15-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Surprised? Check out Harley Davidson to see how much of that "All American" motorcycle is from America. And it's O.K., I expect a lot of backlash from this.....I'm a Harley owner too.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

I hear ya, my son just put an idler pulley on his Ranger (OEM) and it looked like crap compared to the 20 year old pulley that he took off.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by me1234
Maybe I'm a little behind the curve on this knowledge, but I don't usually buy factory parts. With all the hype they get, I expect factory parts to BE factory parts.
Yes. You are.

https://www.cars.com/articles/the-20...1420684865874/
http://fortune.com/2015/06/29/cars-made-in-america/

25% (or more) of the parts on the F-150 are not American made according to independent reports.

"Factory part" does not mean made in the US.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:06 PM

Received 702 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamPitt
Yes. You are.

https://www.cars.com/articles/the-20...1420684865874/
http://fortune.com/2015/06/29/cars-made-in-america/

25% (or more) of the parts on the F-150 are not American made according to independent reports.

"Factory part" does not mean made in the US.
75℅ Domestic is actually a pretty good number.
Not everyone can match the Camry / Avalon / ES350 numbers.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:17 PM

Received 702 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Marbos
That's interesting, went to get a trans filter the other day and the auto shop guy told me that motorcraft receives the filter from another company and rebrands it as their own. What I do know is that I've had fitment issues with products that aren't motocraft. What you're saying is completely understandable though.
Built by a filter company your familiar with doesn't mean it's the same product that they sell.

Most Motorcraft Oil Filters are made by Purolator but if you look at a Motorcraft it has a threaded end bypass and the Purolator has a dome end bypass. The filter is built to Ford Specs so it's not the same.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene K
Built by a filter company your familiar with doesn't mean it's the same product that they sell.

Most Motorcraft Oil Filters are made by Purolator but if you look at a Motorcraft it has a threaded end bypass and the Purolator has a dome end bypass. The filter is built to Ford Specs so it's not the same.
That makes sense completely, that's why I said I've had aftermarket parts not fit properly if they aren't motorcraft. I was just told that motorcraft may share a manufacturing plant and be provided with the product by another company but still be a different product than the one the company sells.