General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Morimoto 2Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Morimoto 2Stroke

Anybody pre-order? Looks like TRS is endorsing these for projector housings, but also saying they should work well in reflector housings.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...led-bulbs.html
Lots of discussion on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/TheRetrofitSource/?fref=ts
Old 06-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

If this is the true cut-off pattern of that bulb alone, this is a HUGE breakthrough in light technology.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice
Old 06-24-2016, 01:51 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by HCFX2013
If this is the true cut-off pattern of that bulb alone, this is a HUGE breakthrough in light technology.
It's not - it's in a compatible housing fer the specific bulb type(s). Output still needs to be managed; cutoff will still remain a function of the halogen housing's design (and the accuracy of the emitter's placement in all three dimensions). Please note that there is NO silly 'rotational adjustment' in use here - correct design does not require it - and it was a marketing gimmic anyway.

What I appreciate is their candor:

Dime a Dozen: Everybody wants LED headlight bulbs today, but for all the wrong reasons. The diverse marketing tactics and the numbers war that's pushed onto ill-advised consumers is only getting more and more amusing to guys like us who actually know better. 100W? 10,000 lumens? Top-secret LED chip formula with seemingly exotic blend of rare materials or fancy coatings? Cool story, bro, but how do they actually work on the road at night? Isn't that what headlights are for?

2Stroke: Despite the fact that we haven't really had anything to offer in this niche, well, at least without risking our reputation selling our customers something that we truly didn't believe in: We respect the fact that Morimoto stood on the sidelines for so long, simply learning from everybody else's mistakes. In testing the 2Stroke system side by side with a multitude of other designs, we finally became excited about LED headlight bulbs for the first time. Against the odds and certainly our expectations; seeing is believing and we agree they actually work pretty darn well! Here's why.

Safety: You won't be putting yourself at risk while driving at night with the 2Stroke Bulbs. Prior to this, we could only ever comfortably recommend LED bulbs for use as auxiliary lighting, high beams, fog lights, etc. Here, we test a lot of automotive lighting products. (really, a lot) Until now, there were literally no options that would translate their luminosity out onto the road into a useful-enough beam pattern (and measured lux at a distance) to really call adequate for on-road use. The optics for the H7 2Stroke bulbs are unique compared to other sizes in the range in order to produce the best possible results in H7 headlights.

Daytime Running Lights: The vast majority of other LED headlight bulbs are powered by drivers that flicker, flash, or simply wont turn on when powered by a low voltage DRL (daytime running light) circuit. The 2Stroke works like a charm here, behaving as it should and simply running at a lower intensity. A simple, smart, compact voltage regulator that's protected inside of a sealed aluminum housing drives the 2Stroke's CREE XHP50 LED chips at varying degrees of intensity depending on the input voltage. Max output is reached at 10V.

Pretty Cool: Heat management is crucial for lumen maintenance and reliability. The 2Stroke bulb's internally opposed 1.5mm copper boards extract as much heat as possible from the area surrounding the LED chips and transfers it to the radiator at the back of the bulb. Yea yea, copper stuff and fans, seen that before...The key here though is that the 2Stroke's copper core has almost 3x more surface area than anything else, and it's fan is A) Mounted sideways so that it not only sucks cool air but also blows hot air out. B) It's a magnetic levitating unit, so there's no ball bearing to seize up and eventually fail. #winning

This is something a few folks have been trying to convey here fer a long time - LED drop-in offerings to-date have not been very effective, nor all that well-designed. And as stated, BS marketing has essentially overridden common sense as it applies to the great unwashed masses in their blind, headlong rush to acquire 'coolness'

Will it turn the ship around? Who knows? I hope so, but ....

MGD

Last edited by MGD; 06-24-2016 at 01:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Excursionator (06-28-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty300
Nice
The XHP50 bulb offered here is what I'm currently running in my fogs/lows/highs and couldn't be happier. The brand/reseller I got mine from was 4x4truckleds.com.

Not sure if the design on these is drastically different but maybe now that Morimoto put their name on it guys will start to believe that the new LED lights are a viable option without being intrusive to other drivers, offering great performance and not breaking the bank.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:22 PM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by MNSportsman
The XHP50 bulb offered here is what I'm currently running in my fogs/lows/highs and couldn't be happier. The brand/reseller I got mine from was 4x4truckleds.com.

Not sure if the design on these is drastically different but maybe now that Morimoto put their name on it guys will start to believe that the new LED lights are a viable option without being intrusive to other drivers, offering great performance and not breaking the bank.
The CREE XHP50 is the manufacturer and model of the LED emitter, NOT the 'bulb'.

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cr...g/ds-XHP50.pdf

It's the implementation of that specific emitter on a supporting die and structure (placement/orientation/alignment/accuracy, thermal management, regulation, etc) that dictates it's actual performance and effectiveness as a properly-designed light source.

In that regard, the two designs are vastly different. You can be certain that TRS/Mori tested the bulbs you are talking about, and rejected that design.

MGD
Old 06-24-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So what is the difference in the 4X4truckled XHP50 Cree lights and the Morimoto XHP50 Cree lights?
Old 06-24-2016, 02:58 PM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by mophead
So what is the difference in the 4X4truckled XHP50 Cree lights and the Morimoto XHP50 Cree lights?
Just about every important attribute that matters. The only commonality is the emitter itself.

Instead of just simply asking, pull up the details from each respective site and look.

MGD
Old 06-24-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 645 Likes on 352 Posts

SUB'd..

Wonder how they would look along side the Morimoto XB fogs.
XB's Being 5500K
and
2 Stroke LED bulbs at 5000K.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

Hey partner, you conviction on the lighting topic is admirable, however, being that you’ve never used either one of these products (mine or the new Morimoto’s) impacts your credibility to some degree – I also know that no one will change your fixed mindset on this topic and that’s perfectly fine.

At the end of the day I don’t have a dog in this religious debate – Hopefully these new Morimoto’s turn out to be a hit and offer another solid option for people who want to upgrade their poor performing OEM halogens at a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: Morimoto 2Stroke