General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More from Oil pressure guy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More from Oil pressure guy!

Okay, I've posted a few times on here in the last few weeks and have gotten some pretty good info. Thanks for that!
Here's whats been going on: I bought an 89 F-150 4X4 and although it seemed to run great the oil pressure gauge on the dash would sometimes fall to zero when I'd come to a stop at a light or something. So, I flushed the engine several times, and changed the oil. Still the same but the oil is CLEAN! So I went and bought an aftermarket gauge, installed it. The same. I've been reading through some old posts and it seems that some of these older trucks have bugs in the dash and gauges so I thought my last ditch effort before trying to change out the oil pump while the engine is still in was to maybe run a hot wire directly from the battery and bypass the fuse box where I had initially got power. Just ran it and it seems to work great. Here's my simple question. I should be running about 10lbs of pressure for every 1000 rpm, right? If so, than everything is awesome!!! It just looks bad because if I'm idling at about 800 rpm the gauge is going to look like it's almost at zero but in reality since the first mark is at 25lbs it's actually reading about 8 psi. Of course if I rev it up the needle rises accordingly.
So, I'm just looking for someone in the know to tell me I'm correct or completely nuts!
Thanks in advance for your input!!!

Quick Reply: More from Oil pressure guy!