General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOTS of chick questions about gas, and mileage and performance, etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LOTS of chick questions about gas, and mileage and performance, etc

So I got my 14 bone stock STX, lifted it, fender flares, wheels/tires etc.

Now that I am ALMOST done with cosmetics I am going to buy a tuner/tunes and I have a few general questions about performance and GAS!

I have said it a hundred times, I drive like a granny so I don't get the very worst MPG. I don't "off-road" and I don't ever go WOT.

When I buy gas, why would I buy one octane over another? If 85 or 87 is a lot cheaper why would I buy anything else. That said, after 1000 miles of 87, I filled her with a tank of 91 and I "FELT" like she woke up! Sounded better and seemed to be peppier. I will be the very first to admit that my very well have been psychological!

Should I avoid going back and forth from one octane to another?

When I buy my tunes most of them will focus on economy (any suggestions GREATLY appreciated)
But, hey I am still human... I'll get a performance or two

Thank you all SO much !!

Kat

PS. ... Will be blacking out all logos, and installing blacked out head and tails too!
Attached Thumbnails LOTS of chick questions about gas, and mileage and performance, etc-reaper.jpg  
Old 11-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Regarding fuel octane ...
DON'T BUY 85 octane. Stick with the recommended minimum - 87.
Regarding tunes ...
Opt to get a selection of performance and economy tunes. While the PCM can adjust for 91 octane to gain a small measure of performance, IMO it's more betterer to stick with 87, unless you know you're going performance for a full tank.

Since you indicate that you "don't ever go WOT" inform whoever you buy the tuner from of this (as well as you other normal driving styles) and consider a 87 octance performance tune. Trust me you won't notice the small difference in HP.
Regarding mod's you've had done ...
They (lift, wheels/tires) did NOTHING to your intented goal of increasing MPG, in fact they actually reduced (possibily substantially) what you're trying to achieve MPG-wise.

I realize it's probably (?) a cosmetics, preference but, just saying.
The following users liked this post:
Katrina B (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you Joe!

And yes I know that most of my mods are hurting my fuel economy! I am sure we will all agree that if someone buys and mods a 5.0 truck LOOKING for good MPG, they're too dense to have a drivers license.
Believe it or not I can get 17 MPG right now, but I need to calibrate the tranny and speedo, shift pattern etc to compensate for my new set-up.

Just for fun my goal is to get 18 MPG

Thanks again for the input

Kat
Old 11-26-2014, 02:59 PM

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm averaging around 15 mpg combined on an 87 economy tune. I have yet to run the 91 performance tune, so we shall see on next fill up.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I run higher than 87 octane do I have to retune for 91
Old 11-30-2014, 12:22 AM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Got new shoes and my MPG dumped considerably. I was averaging 19, now only mid 15s. Those BFG KO2 tires have a TON of rolling resistance.

Quick Reply: LOTS of chick questions about gas, and mileage and performance, etc