Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a used 2013 FX4 with 76K miles tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking at a used 2013 FX4 with 76K miles tomorrow...

It's a screw with a short bed. It has the 5.0L and I will listening closely for engine ticking/knocking.

I will be doing the normal check for leaks, testing that things are in working order, fluid checks etc...

What other things should be looking out for during the physical inspection and test drive with a vehicle of that mileage range?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-2016, 09:16 AM

Okay, I looked at two trucks over the weekend. Both were 2013 FX4 Screws with 5.0L.

The first one had 75k miles, the interior was nice and clean but I saw a lot of rust underneath, on the frame and hitch looked really beat up. It looked like it was rode hard a put away wet. When I started the I could clearly hear ticking/knocking coming from the cylinders on the drivers side. I didn't even bother test driving this one. The salesman didn't seem to care when I mentioned it to him.

The second one was at another dealer and had 86k miles and looked very well maintained. Interior looked mint, the exterior looked like it was garage kept and the hitch looked like it was never used.

I did not notice any ticking/knocking when the engine was started so I took it for a test drive. It drove really well and all the options and gadgets appeared to be in good working order.

When I completed the test drive I checked the engine again but this time I could hear an intermittent ticking. When I had someone turn off the engine the I heard what sounded like a rattle. When the engine was started I heard another rattle and the intermittent ticking seemed to come back.

I didn't notice this on the initial start up because I was behind the wheel. I also didn't notice the intermittent ticking sound so it appear like it started occurring after the engine warmed up. My gut feel was either timing chain or timing chain tensioner issues. I mentioned it to the salesman and he said he would have service take look. So this one was no go as well.

So the search continues but now I have some concerns with the higher mileage F150's.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,691 Posts

make sure the ac works in extreme heat.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
make sure the ac works in extreme heat.
I had the AC blasting but it was only in the 80's over weekend. What AC issues have occurred in extreme heat?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusader556
I had the AC blasting but it was only in the 80's over weekend. What AC issues have occurred in extreme heat?

Thanks!
Im in Texas, the ac in my truck only produces cycling vent temps at 44-48 degrees. At that temp, cab never cools/gets comfortable in summer. It gets parked during the hot months.

Ford wont/cant fix it says its normal. My sons Explorer and wifes edge produce 36-38 degree vent temps.

There are several threads about this, some have even resorted to a "hack".
Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the tip I will keep it mind!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:26 AM

I don't know if you would be interested but I'm selling my 2014 fx4. 18k miles... 5.0. Fully optioned.

Send a private email if you're interested.

David
Old 06-02-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a '13 XLT with 90k on it. Was a little beat up on the interior but otherwise appears to have been taken care of decently enough. I went ahead and got the warranties, so any issues for the next 36k can be dealt with by the dealership. Had it a few months now and so far no major issues. Just weird things you get from a used car.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by admlshake
I bought a '13 XLT with 90k on it. Was a little beat up on the interior but otherwise appears to have been taken care of decently enough. I went ahead and got the warranties, so any issues for the next 36k can be dealt with by the dealership. Had it a few months now and so far no major issues. Just weird things you get from a used car.
What warranties did you get? Also, if you don't mind, what did it cost? Thanks!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusader556
What warranties did you get? Also, if you don't mind, what did it cost? Thanks!
I got the 36k/3 year engine warranty. It was around 2.5k I think. Maybe it was 2k. But the truck was high mileage, and I spotted a few drops of oil under it before the test drive. Gonna have it taken to the shop pretty soon to have that looked at.

Quick Reply: Looking at a used 2013 FX4 with 76K miles tomorrow...