Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for ball joints.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Looking for ball joints.

I'm finally going to get around to changing out my ball joints, and then anything else that is making my truck squeak, lol.

So, my question is, who makes the best ball joints for the right price, and where can I get them (post a link please)

Finally just to clarify for the last time, the only "specialty" tool I need is a pickle fork right?

A nice write up would be nice if someone could point me in the right direction also.

Thanks everyone
Old 04-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Amatuer Lumberjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id go with Moog if it were me. Any autoparts store should be able to get them for you.
Id try the Carquest thats in Minocqua. Im pretty sure its right on the main road that goes through Minocqua and Woodruff.
Id also see what Marsden's Ford/Chrysler gets for balljoints. In a lot of cases, Ive found that Motorcraft parts dont cost any more than do aftermarket parts.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Ty

Im looking to see if I can get them online for a better price, and do the work myself.

I will stop into carquest and napa this weekend and see what they have. I also originally took my truck to marston, and they quoted me 700 for the parts and labor, and they are not too keen on selling just the parts, and its a PITA to get someone in their parts department to help you.

I am also leaning more tords aftermarket parts because the oem parts dont have the zurks fittings, and the moog ones do.

Im basically just shopping aroud for the best price at the moment.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Ty

No one else?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Amatuer Lumberjack

Originally Posted by Ty
Im looking to see if I can get them online for a better price, and do the work myself.

I will stop into carquest and napa this weekend and see what they have. I also originally took my truck to marston, and they quoted me 700 for the parts and labor, and they are not too keen on selling just the parts, and its a PITA to get someone in their parts department to help you.

I am also leaning more tords aftermarket parts because the oem parts dont have the zurks fittings, and the moog ones do.

Im basically just shopping aroud for the best price at the moment.
Yeah, Id definetly go aftermarket if you are up to doing the job yourself. Its a shame that Marston's wouldnt just sell you the parts, but like any other dealer, they would prefer to do the work for you because they will make more money that way.
I dont blame you for going with aftermarket because they come with grease fittings. Id much rathar have grease fittings and know that the joints are getting grease.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Ty

Anyone buy any recentally at a good price?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 PM

I buy my parts through a commercial account...everything is a good price.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

MOOG is the only way to go with suspension. Do not let them tell you this is made by moog, but its in another box. MOOG only. You can get the ball joint press from Autozone or Advance in their loan a tool program. I know you have the manual for your truck. ITs not that hard just time consuming.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Ty

Originally Posted by NGM
MOOG is the only way to go with suspension. Do not let them tell you this is made by moog, but its in another box. MOOG only. You can get the ball joint press from Autozone or Advance in their loan a tool program. I know you have the manual for your truck. ITs not that hard just time consuming.
I do?

I plan on picking one up for this. Im not worried about it actually doing it, I just want to get the parts and the book, look it over, and make sure thta I understand it right before I go and do it.

So oem ford parts are no good? I was talking to a guy that I used to work with and he now works at a ford dealer, and might be able to get me a deal of some sort. For the time that I am going to own the truck, I think that the ford parts will last plenty long.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to Harbor Freight for your tools.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38335
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38649
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1752
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92882

I a fortunate to have a Harbor Freight tool store just south of me and believe me if you walk in there
with 2000 dollars in cash you will walk out flat broke and your plastic all maxed out.

Like Cabala's which is just about the same distant east of me, these are Man Holy Places.

Last edited by transmaster; 04-24-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for ball joints.