Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

an lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:41 AM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default an lines?

i use an lines at work as they were designed for my job, military aviation, however i have never had to change a hard line to an fitting as its not my department, nor do we realy ever do it. what i want to do is change my tranny hard lines to shorten them up and route them from tranny to cooler and back, not tranny, radiator, cooler, back. i would like to use an line as its just so much easier to work with, and plus the system is easy, screw it on and go, plus the coolers i am looking at are all thread style and an is a threaded system. so having never assembled, nor made the line's connectors itself on a pressure system, (we get our lines preassembled), i need some links or knowledge on how to assemble an line, and put fittings on hard pipe.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have read alot of your threads and posts before never noticing a grammar malfunction of this magnatude. I am referring "an" lines, back in my day in avaition the "an" was the abreviation of Army Navy. Assuming this to be the case with you and your desire to change over to hard lines, I don't have a problem with that at the cooler end as this is fixed (stationary). At the tranny end is a different story unless you are already considering the vibration aspect. Long story short, a 37 degree flare, sometimes 45 degree is used. If at all possible make a double flare in place of the less expensive single flare. Here in the golf industry, flared lines and fittings have been replaced with a flat face seal. The ends are either silver soldered or crimped to the metal lines and one half of the connection incorporates an O ring for the actual sealing. Now that I have you totally confused, its been nice talking to you.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Paint it black

ha ya, i should of done something like capitalize the AN's, the vibration shouldnt be to massive, and with proper support i dont realy see a huge problem. you did confuse me slightly, do you have a write up or a link on a how to?
Old 08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

It took me a little bit, but I found it.
http://www.phoenixtrans.com/html/HOSE.pdf
Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Paint it black

kick a$s man! thats exactly what i was looking for, now i wonder if i should cut the hard line and join it to the hard line or completely replace the hard line....
Old 08-18-2008, 04:30 PM
_McLovin_

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Completely replace the hard line. You should know that these lines are going to be much bigger in OD because they are steel braided. If you have any tight spots you may want to make sure the line will have enough room to not chaffe or be cut. Also the transmission lube circuits in our trucks do not run at a high enough pressure to need to step up to these lines but If your doing it just for the durability I guess thats another thing.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Paint it black

i want to get a higher btu unit, and bypass the radiator

i have seen a 44,000 btu unit that is a factory replacement but that doesnt help the radiator problem.

also with an lines, the internal diameter is the same as the id of the hard line....
Old 08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
We'd do it

On that site they are showing a special fitting that replaces the hard line. It has the flare on one end and the end to connect the braided line on the other. Looking through the fittings on some sites I couldn't find that fitting, that site was the first one that showed it. Somebody must have it.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Paint it black

i may just swap the coolers because i went out and looked and its a quick disconnect fitting and not a screw in...
Old 08-18-2008, 05:50 PM
We'd do it

There are many specialty AN fittings, you probably will find it somewhere. I found one for the fuel lines with the duckbill clip, since I don't know what yours looks like I won't be able to find it.

Quick Reply: an lines?