Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighting up the roadway

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Lighting up the roadway

http://www.wave3.com/story/33471226/...e?sf39831831=1

I admit, my F-150 has some of the best headlights I've seen, and I've had probably 15-20 different vehicles in my lifetime. I'm very happy with mine.

But there are some guys who apparently don't agree, because I'm seeing a huge increase in the large aftermarket LED light bars on the front of guys' trucks. Those are typically not DOT approved for highway use, and when one of those guys is headed your direction you can't see s***. It's like driving toward the sun. I'm about to lose my patience with them.

There is a fine line between being able to see where you're going, and causing others not to.

I wonder how auto makers will respond to this report? Are we going to see new light technology? Or just expansion of existing LEDs? Like I said, the F-150 got a terrible score but I like mine...I think mine are great.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had my FX4 only 2 months and seldom drive at night--- my lights are not worth a flip....I had a 2013 Lexus RX350 that also had sorry headlights, it appears common across the board. I had thought about upgrading my lights, the above report says this is fairly worthless, though. Wait and see if something better comes along.......
Old 10-25-2016, 12:01 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a 2014 with the factory HID projectors and they seem pretty good to me, My last 3 miles of my commute home do not have street lights and I'm happy with the light output. Although I think we always want more, I wouldn't mind finding an LED bulb to swap in there but I'm not sure if that would make it better or worse?
Old 10-25-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette10R
I have a 2014 with the factory HID projectors and they seem pretty good to me, My last 3 miles of my commute home do not have street lights and I'm happy with the light output. Although I think we always want more, I wouldn't mind finding an LED bulb to swap in there but I'm not sure if that would make it better or worse?
I am happy with my factory HID's but like anything else OEM, there are comprises. For example, the smoked headlights and soft lenses, restrict the performance.

I have Mormito HID retrofits on my Ranger and the difference between the the is great.

Can be summed up best in

1) Light Intensity: Put simply, the lens is what projects the light from the bulb onto the ground. The more clarity it has, the more light than can pass through it and onto the road ahead. Factory installed lenses don’t have much clarity.

2) Beam Width: A projector’s beam pattern will dim towards the outer edges naturally. Because a clear lens enhances intensity throughout the entire beam, the very edges of the output will be better lit – giving the effect of increased width.

3) Beam Uniformity: Clear lenses help smooth out the beam by brightening up dark spots to enhance overall visibility.
Aesthetic Appeal:

1) Cutoff Sharpness: The beam pattern definition will be greatly enhanced, with a razor sharp cutoff line to separate the light within the beam pattern from the darkness.

2) Color Flicker: A band of vivid, colorful light will appear along the top of the cutoff line. As this band of light passes in and out of the field of vision of onlookers; your headlights will produce that exotic color-flicker effect that many desire, and often try to imitate with higher-kelvin bulbs.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 985 Likes on 665 Posts

The stock halogen headlights in my `14 STX sucked to put it politely. I bought the L.E.D. plug & play setup from a forum vendor & the light output is night & day (no pun intended). Also, I never get flashed by oncoming drivers with the new set, so its a win-win situation for me. My wife made me laugh when we took our first night time ride after the install by remarking " When did they start lighting up the speed limit & stop signs?" as the lights light up the reflective edges of the stop signs & the whole speed limit signs a bright white.

Last edited by kenv47; 10-25-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:57 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=Speedfreak400;5012090]I am happy with my factory HID's but like anything else OEM, there are comprises. For example, the smoked headlights and soft lenses, restrict the performance.

I have Mormito HID retrofits on my Ranger and the difference between the the is great.
[QUOTE]

I've been looking into the Morimoto's a little, I read that they make some of the best when it comes to lighting but I have never used any of their products. I was looking at the D3S bulb they have which is a direct swap for my truck and wondering if it would be any brighter? I'm also curious if the sharp cutoff would be the same with the Morimoto's.

Do you have any experience with these bulbs vs. factory? Do you think it would be worth it or a waste of money?

http://www.morimotohid.com/component...3s-xb-hid.html
Old 10-25-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Changed my headlights to being tinted, so I purchased a Xenon conversion kit, 55watt 6000k, love the light I get from them. Also added two LED's for backing up. With tinted windows can't see **** backing up. Put in two relays so they only come on at night when I put the truck in revers.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I run the LED conversion from 4x4TruckLEDS and it works awesome.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:48 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

the stock headlights in my 06, even with them being all fogged over...
are tons better than the 13+ stock projectors, IMO.

I usually drive with my fogs on 24/7(leave my headlights on auto, so not really 24/7 but when the headlights are on the fogs are on)... 06 low beams with fogs are brighter than the high beams on a 13+ projector truck.

To me atleast. I think a big part of it has to do with lower factory ride heights, or something like that. it's weird, and unsafe.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by boom50cal
the stock headlights in my 06, even with them being all fogged over...
are tons better than the 13+ stock projectors, IMO.

I usually drive with my fogs on 24/7(leave my headlights on auto, so not really 24/7 but when the headlights are on the fogs are on)... 06 low beams with fogs are brighter than the high beams on a 13+ projector truck.

To me atleast. I think a big part of it has to do with lower factory ride heights, or something like that. it's weird, and unsafe.
BS. That isn't even logical.

[QUOTE=Vette10R;5012422][QUOTE=Speedfreak400;5012090]I am happy with my factory HID's but like anything else OEM, there are comprises. For example, the smoked headlights and soft lenses, restrict the performance.

I've been looking into the Morimoto's a little, I read that they make some of the best when it comes to lighting but I have never used any of their products. I was looking at the D3S bulb they have which is a direct swap for my truck and wondering if it would be any brighter? I'm also curious if the sharp cutoff would be the same with the Morimoto's.

Do you have any experience with these bulbs vs. factory? Do you think it would be worth it or a waste of money?

http://www.morimotohid.com/component...3s-xb-hid.html

No Idea, am running this kit https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...s-stage-3.html . Beam pattern is much wider, cutoff much sharper and light def brighter than my factory HIDS.