Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifting a 2000 F150 V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifting a 2000 F150 V6

hey everybody,

just bought a new 2000 F150 4.2L V6 manual, and was interested in lifting it and putting bigger tires.... but ive been getting alot of warnings from different people so i was looking for a lil guidance. what i wanted to do was get a 4 in lift 2 in body and put 35's on it, but my concerns were;

-how much will my gas mileage go down?
-will it destroy my small engine tryin to get up on the freeway?
-cost(is there extra things i need to change to lift it and have bigger tires)

or would i be better off just leaving it?

all the advice i get is appreciated thanks and i look forward to talkin to everyone in the future...

AP
Old 07-01-2007, 01:27 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site!! Your gas mileage will go down and I don't think your engine will appreciate the added weight for the bigger/heavier wheels and tires.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:42 PM

thanks! ya i kinda figured that, but do you have an estimated guess for how much the mpg will go down..... and would it not be smart to do that to my engine? or if i do thing to the engine to add horses will that help or not even matter? thanks again for the help
Old 07-01-2007, 01:50 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing that you will prolly drop 3-4 mpg or more but it could be less but I doubt it. I've seen lifted trucks with 6 cylinders so it's all up to you on how bad you want it and to add a noticeable amount of HP to the engine can cost big bucks. Yeah you can do the CAI and exhaust which will add a little bit of hp but it won't be a BIG noticeable difference.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

^X2

I would just buy a full suspension lift, since you already want six inches of lift you might as well get all suspension then later down the road you can add a body lift for even more.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I think Triton hit it pretty good, you can probably expect a 3-4 mpg loss by lifting. I lifted mine (I have the 5.4L V8 though) and lost 3 mpg. As far as what else you'll need to do, you'll definitely need to have your speedo recalibrated and have your shift points adjusted. Your dealership can do this for about $80. If you're looking for the best way to increase hp then get yourself a tuner. A tuner will also recalibrate your speedo and adjust your shift points for you. The 2 most common tuners for our trucks is the Edge (canned tunes) and the Xcal II with custom tunes. Combined that with a CAI and you'll be thrilled with the way your "new" truck will drive.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:46 PM
TOGA TOGA TOGA

that sounds like yall got the nail on the head to me
Old 07-01-2007, 06:37 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
I think Triton hit it pretty good, you can probably expect a 3-4 mpg loss by lifting. I lifted mine (I have the 5.4L V8 though) and lost 3 mpg. As far as what else you'll need to do, you'll definitely need to have your speedo recalibrated and have your shift points adjusted. Your dealership can do this for about $80. If you're looking for the best way to increase hp then get yourself a tuner. A tuner will also recalibrate your speedo and adjust your shift points for you. The 2 most common tuners for our trucks is the Edge (canned tunes) and the Xcal II with custom tunes. Combined that with a CAI and you'll be thrilled with the way your "new" truck will drive.
All this and a set of gears. If you go to 35's i recommend 4.11s. I totally recommend a tuner and a full suspension lift. Stay away from body lifts. They suck.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldnt do anything to it since it has the 4.2, that engine prolly has enough power to move the truck down the road. i had a 97 with the 4.2 with a manual and it just completely sucked. putting on a lift and bigger tires, is just going to make it soo much slower. and u will be shifting all the time. i remember i would always have to shift from like 4th into 2nd just to get up a hill.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:35 PM

someone told me if i were to do the full 6" suspension lift that i would have to extend some things like the stick. true??? all of this is hella helpin me out so keep em coming. so most of you at least think its possibletho my main goal was to make sure i wouldnt just kill my engine and 3-5 MPG arent bad, but i just thought if i got the tuner to add power and adjust the points it would work out. so... anything else?

SPDKILZ02 did you have anything else done to your truck like these guys are talkin bout? or did you just lift and have tires? souds like it turned it into a semi truck that would suck .

Quick Reply: lifting a 2000 F150 V6