General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter tick vs exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lifter tick vs exhaust leak?

Does anyone know if there is any definite distinction between a lifter ticking noise and an exhaust leak? My 2007 F150 5.4L has a ticking noise that is amplified when i stick my head in the front passenger side wheel well. The uniqueness of this tick noise is it makes a loud ticking noise at start up for about 20 seconds, and under acceleration, BUT during the winter months when the temperature gets below 0 degrees Celsius the noise is very less noticeable all together. However, as were getting closer to summer and the days are warming up, I'm getting the ticking noise at start up again and also under acceleration... I'm totally lost as this makes no sense to me... My best guess is a lifter or exhaust leak? can someone please help identify what i'm hearing and maybe explain if there is a difference to a lifter tick or an exhaust leak noise.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Make sure you have all your exhaust stud nuts. Studs may break. The back one would break on earlier trucks.

You could run a piece of hose along exhaust manifold (one end to ear) and listen. Have someone goose it alittle.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check spark plugs for tightness, just went through this exact same thing and had one plug loose. I had just replaced them approx 3-4 months prior. This is not uncommon... Please post what you find out.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Beauch11
Does anyone know if there is any definite distinction between a lifter ticking noise and an exhaust leak? My 2007 F150 5.4L has a ticking noise that is amplified when i stick my head in the front passenger side wheel well. The uniqueness of this tick noise is it makes a loud ticking noise at start up for about 20 seconds, and under acceleration, BUT during the winter months when the temperature gets below 0 degrees Celsius the noise is very less noticeable all together. However, as were getting closer to summer and the days are warming up, I'm getting the ticking noise at start up again and also under acceleration... I'm totally lost as this makes no sense to me... My best guess is a lifter or exhaust leak? can someone please help identify what i'm hearing and maybe explain if there is a difference to a lifter tick or an exhaust leak noise.

Thanks
If I remember correctly the 5.4's had an issue with spark plugs, coming loose or striping out?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:52 AM

YEs but wouldnt a loose spark Plug or misfiring plug turn on your engine light?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the same noise in my '07. I know If have an exhaust leak but also sounds like a lifter.
Last Friday I had a little bit of time and decided to go through and make sure my plugs were tightened down. I changes them last May but never went back through and few months later and tightened them. Reading on here some guys reporting a problem like Golfman just said.
I checked all but 2. Didnt have time to remove the ECM and get the back 2 passenger side.

What I did find was 2 loose connectors on 2 of the COPS I replaced back at the end of November. For some reason it takes a lot to get them snapped on to the Accel coil connector. Only 1 of my spark plugs were loose that I checked for looseness. Got a little more turn out of it.

I made sure they were all snapped down and connected to the coil. The lifter tick type noise went away and now I have just my little exhaust leak to listen to.
It was either that loose plug or the connectors.

EDIT- no cel or hesitation

Last edited by haha; 03-30-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

A loose plug will not turn on the CEL.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with JCR, I just went through this and a loose plug will not turn on Check Engine Light... You dont want it to come all the way loose and potentially pull the threads out, check all plugs if you have any reason to believe they could be loose. I had one loosen up approx 6 months after replacing mine.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

A cracked exhaust manifold will make that sound and perhaps the one on the passenger side is the culprit. Or you need a new gasket. Does it become quieter after it warms up? take it to Ford or a mechanic
Old 03-31-2015, 11:05 AM

To be honest i dont even know, somtimes i think it does get better as it warms up but sometimes when its warm its also the worst.. I think its the oil.. It needs an oil change and im going to put in 5w-30 synthetic.. I think thats why all tritons tick because the recomended oil is to thin for that engine.

Quick Reply: Lifter tick vs exhaust leak?