Sponsored by:

To Lift, Or Not To Lift,

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:35 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default To Lift, Or Not To Lift,

That is the question!

I see so many of the members here wanting to, and leveling their trucks. From my own experience with my F150, I am not sure that is such a good idea from a practical point of view. I have hauled a yard of dirt, which weighs about 2200 pounds, on a few occasions this past summer. The truck was more than able to haul the weight, but it took the rear suspension down to the stops. If I had a leveling kit on my F150, it would have been sitting at a steep angle with the front end looking at the sky.

Do the guys, and gals , that level their trucks also beef up the rear suspension? And if not, why? I suppose if you never haul anything of any serious weight it many not be an issue.

Just my .78th's of a cent point of view
(value adjusted for inflation)
Old 12-23-2007, 11:30 AM
that's gonna leave a mark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll throw my opinion in here, why not? The most common reason for lifting is simply to fit bigger meats on a rig. Some don't beef up the suspension because they are lifting to go wheeling and want to maintain a certain amount of flex while rockcrawling. Once you lift something beyond 2-3 inches it isn't really practical to use it a a means to haul stuff anyway due to the height issue of reaching to get/put stuff from/into the bed. Again, just my humble opinion...
Old 12-23-2007, 11:56 AM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

i like the look of a lifted truck,but i agree it does go from a multipurpose vehicle to a single. good for offroading or town cruising. as to the upside, you won't have to worry about helping friends move or having to do as much towing. mine will be getting a lift next year, either the leveling kit or a 4-6" lift ( if the wife approves ) alot of the lift manufacturers offer replacement rear springs to beef up the rear. you'll probably want them to help control the larger tires that are on the way.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If you were to go the leveling kit then you could always do an AAL in the rear. I personally like the look of the lifted trucks and the beefier tires.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:52 PM

I'm thinking about putting some air bags on the back. I ocasionally haul heavy stuff and when I do the rear really sags. A set of air bags would get it back up to where it's suppose to be.

Bags go for about $200 or so.

Bob Wassam
Old 12-26-2007, 05:59 PM

Good Question Dewman... I Recently Put A Leveling Kit On My F 150 With 35" Mts... Im Sure I Would Have A Problem Hauling Anything With A Significant Weight... Last Year Before The Leveling Kit And Tires I Hauled A Pallet Of Concrete In My Bed For A Fence I Was Putting Up... It Really Weighed Down The Back Of The Truck A Lot. Not Sure If I Would Be Able To Haul That Much Weight In The Back Right Now Without A Problem. I Dont Mind "looking At The Sky", But I Think With The Taller Tires I Might Scrape With A Real Heavy Load. But Hell.... It Looks Good!!
Old 05-10-2008, 11:17 PM
When in doubt, floor it

Originally Posted by JOHNNY
Good Question Dewman... I Recently Put A Leveling Kit On My F 150 With 35" Mts... Im Sure I Would Have A Problem Hauling Anything With A Significant Weight... Last Year Before The Leveling Kit And Tires I Hauled A Pallet Of Concrete In My Bed For A Fence I Was Putting Up... It Really Weighed Down The Back Of The Truck A Lot. Not Sure If I Would Be Able To Haul That Much Weight In The Back Right Now Without A Problem. I Dont Mind "looking At The Sky", But I Think With The Taller Tires I Might Scrape With A Real Heavy Load. But Hell.... It Looks Good!!
Say ther JOHNNY...besides the leveling kit do you even have a lift? Also, what year is your truck and you should post a pic of that beast.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have been thinking about the same thing. but since i do move things with my truck, my suspension is probably going to stay stock for a while.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:35 AM

'morning folks,

well as you folks know, I always seem to march to the beat of my own drummer...

I vote for not lifting & keeping the stock tires.

I had to return my truck because it was too high for The Mrs to be able to reach and clean the windshield after an ice storm. She knows that I am going to get another truck some day. She feels so bad each time she sees me looking at someone else's truck.

Mitch

PS. I don't do mud bogs, or rock climbing. I use it to haul my huge *** around town.

Quick Reply: To Lift, Or Not To Lift,