General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leveling kit questions

Other than the obvious visual change, what are the benefits to installing a leveling kit? Is there any kind of performance improvement? Ride improvement? Less or more wear and tear on tires? Gas mileage improvements?

As I'm not a car (or truck) guy, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Mostly looks only. Any change to MPG will usually be to the downside.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:02 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

just looks. slightly higher ground clearance in the front? Fit larger tires that can be beneficial in certain offroad situations?

Honestly lets just go with looks, everything else is debatable.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a feeling that was the case but wanted an outside opinion on the matter. Thanks for the answers.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:15 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Had no effect on my MPG's. I did it for the extra ground clearance. Most do it for looks and to be able to fit larger tires. What hurts your MPG's when you level is the larger tires.

If you go the coilover route, you will get an improved ride as well. But they cost more.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

No change in mileage on my truck, rides the same. Actually feels like there is less brake dive, this is likely from a different seating position. I prefer the way the truck drives now.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 1,284 Likes on 902 Posts

It won't change ground clearance unless you go up in tire size too. The "BODY" of the truck will be 1" or so higher in the front, but the frame and axles are the closest to the ground and only bigger tires will raise them.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallr
It won't change ground clearance unless you go up in tire size too. The "BODY" of the truck will be 1" or so higher in the front, but the frame and axles are the closest to the ground and only bigger tires will raise them.
No, you are totally wrong. A leveling kit does lift the frame, not just the body. Also a leveling kit WILL increase the ground clearance in the front only. Installing the leveling kit will also give you the opportunity to run larger tires which will raise your clearance all around too.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Riverwolf
Other than the obvious visual change, what are the benefits to installing a leveling kit? Is there any kind of performance improvement? Ride improvement? Less or more wear and tear on tires? Gas mileage improvements?

As I'm not a car (or truck) guy, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Like most have said... improved ground clearance. This will allow you to run bigger tires if you want. It'll also make crawling under the front of your truck for whatever (oil changes) just that much easier. It's also much more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion. I hate the nose end of my truck being 3" lower than the rear, looks horrible. My buddy did a 2.5" level on his bone stock 2014 Screw 4x4 and saw absolutely no changes in MPG. He also said he felt no difference in ride quality. If there is a ride quality change, whether good or bad, it's very minimal with just a level. Your performance and MPG will take a hit once you add bigger tires.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Primarily for looks...like high heels. And like high heels, while they may look great, athletic performance suffers.

A lift or level with no bigger wheels and tires does not increase ground clearance, as the axles will still be the same height over the ground.

With bigger tires and wheels and a lift/level:
1 Lower payload (reduced by the weight of the lift/level kit and heavier tires and wheels).
2. Fewer opportunities for resale. I for one wouldn't consider buying a truck with a lift or level as you don't know the quality of the kit and labor and what other mods were done, such as a tune.
3. Lower towing capacity with larger air resistance and larger wheels/tires decreasing your effective gearing with larger tire diameter.
4. Slightly lower mileage.
5. More stress on driveshafts/U-Joints with increased angles.
6. Higher bed is harder to load with cargo.
7. Weight distributing hitch must be re-adjusted and may require a specialty shank.
8. Higher truck may not fit in as many garages, car washes, etc.
9. Higher center of gravity can increase roll-over accidents.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit questions