General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED light bar mounts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED light bar mounts!

I have a 2008 F150 and I want to put a light Bar across the roof. But I'm not really sure what the best way to mount them. I really don't like the idea of drilling holes into my cab, is that the only/best way to mount them? What's a good size light bar to use?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimjackwilly
I have a 2008 F150 and I want to put a light Bar across the roof. But I'm not really sure what the best way to mount them. I really don't like the idea of drilling holes into my cab, is that the only/best way to mount them? What's a good size light bar to use?
Across the roof? Like in the middle of the cab? You could probably fabricate something if you have rack mounts on top (the supercrew does you just need to remove the trim).

Honestly, they make two different styles of windshield mounts, one that is forward of the windshield and one that sits almost above, but a little forward. Then there are also headache racks that have light mounts, so you could mount lights just behind the cab (making the cutoff of the light right at the front of the hood of your truck if you aim it).

Also size of lightbar is totally on you, bubba. If you're asking what's the BIGGEST you should use, probably a 54", curved if you can find it as it throws a lot more ambient side-light than the straight ones.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I drilled holes inside the door jam and then used a pop rivet gun to secure the mounts. Worked great.

I have a curved 52, but a curved 54 would've worked just fine too.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

What homeskizzle said is the best/easiest method. Like you, I did not want to drill into my truck either, but it's easy to hide the holes should you ever decide you don't want the light bar. 3 on each side, and it's in the door frame so you never see it.

Check out my site if you are looking for mounts. I sell light bars/mounts for the F-150's.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Try addictivedesertdesigns. They offer a no drill LED light mount.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are set on the roof and don't have roof rails then check out what the cop cars use to secure their lightbars. Without rails they use a thin clip that hooks inside the door area and tightens down with a single bolt to create downward force / pull on the other clip on the other side. I found this picture on google and it's even made for f150's
Old 05-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

That won't work too well for an LED light bar above the windshield due to the design. If he gets a light bar like that (Tomar/Whelen/Federal) it would work, but those are all strobe lights... not sure they make a style like that for just floods (takedown would be it in the police line).

But Takedowns won't have as much throw as off-road LED lights.

Those bars have to sit further back and have a wider stance then the LED light bars we're all used to.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:44 AM

That specific strap may not work or fit exactly but it gives him a starting point as the concept is the same. The strap could easily be slid forward or back, nothing saying it has to sit exactly on the B pillar.

He just needs something to fit in to the door crease, a local fab shop should be able to make something like in this picture.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:30 PM
Banned

He's still going to have to bolt/rivet it in... they don't just SIT in the crease. They appear to from the outside but they are still riveted in. Nothing, short of a CLAMPING system, will work without drilling holes.

The roof bars that police use are CLAMPED into place.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:55 PM

Obviously it has to be secured one way or another if one wants their light to stay attached. This is especially important at highway speeds or off roading with the extra force of wind or bumps.

Quick Reply: LED light bar mounts!