Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > General F150 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150 Forum!
Welcome to F150 Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default leaky truck caps

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum ... as well as new to Ford.

I bought a 2010, 4x4, single cab, F-150 in September. So far, I'm pleased with the truck but a bit annoyed with an aftermarket option.

How many of you have caps on your F-150s? How many of you have leaks?

I have had a new ARE MX installed and it has had a plethora of leaks. Most recently, the front window leaks and the seal between the cap and the truck bed at the front leaks. There is enough water in the truck to fill up some of the ribs in the bed liner and more in the front of the truck bed. Anything (sleeping bag, tent, clothing, luggage, etc.) left on the floor of the truck bed becomes saturated.

Initially, it was thought that the water was getting into the cargo (in my case: sleeping) area through the rear hatch. At that time the water was sloshing around inside the truck bed. I think this has been fixed. However, as is often the case with leaks, you must keep sealing them as you find them or you never know for sure where the water is getting in.

My installer says I'm being unreasonable. These things are NOT meant to be watertight. I 'sorta thought that was the purpose ... Perhaps I was lucky with my previous truck-cap combo.

So, my question to all of you truck owners: "Am I being unreasonable to expect the interior of the truck to be dry-ish with a $4-5000 cap installed?" If the majority of you say "yes," I'll probably not pursue this further. If you say "no", I can go back to my installer with some confidence.

Thanks.
SeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Just call me sean. Really

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mustangGT90210

For 4-5 grand, I'd want that water tight. It sounds like you get the same amount of water in your bed as I do when it rains and I'm parked. And I live in Florida, when it rains it pours.

I don't have a cap, don't really want one either, but my common sense would tell me there's something very wrong with yours
Mods: True duals, 55w AUX reverse lights, Smoked tails/reflector, Smoked corners, 31x10.50s, 15x10s, Blacked out grille, Diamond plate bed rails, Tampa Bay Rays fuzzy dice, 2.5in level, 2in rear block, 6,000K HIDs, LED grille lights, Custom clear headlights
mustangGT90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
No Pain, No Pain!
5 Year Member

I had a cap on a 93 Dakota, that I installed, and it never leaked inside the bed of the truck. A new cap, professionally installed should not leak for a long time. Certainly the windows on the cap should be water tight until the seals deteriorate, which should take several years. If it was installed properly to the bed, it should not leak there either.
1996 F150 Scab longbed, 5.8L, 4x4, 31x10.5 tires, 187k miles and counting. step bars, low-profile tool box, Euro-clear turn signals & headlights, Euro taillights, vent visors, class III Reese hitch, Tekonsha brake controller.

"when you have a hammer in your hand, everything looks like a nail."
dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #4

That's interesting. My last truck was a '99 Dakota with a Fibrobec cap. It leaked around the window bolts at about the 10 year mark. I re-sealed it with silicone and got another year and half out of it. As far as I know, the cap is still watertight ...
Old 12-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

it should be water tight, especially the windows! take it back and if they cant fix it make them refund your money and go somewhere else and get a better one. Thats what I would do, especially for 4-5 grand I wouldnt put up with any of their bull****. I personally dont like the caps and go for just a cover, but my dads got a cap on a 79 F150 that doesnt leak so the new ones shouldnt leak either in my opinion.
2010 F150 Lariat Screw 5.4L 4X4 3.55 LS rear end 6.5' bed with side bedsteps, Sony sound w/Touchscreen nav, loaded. Mods/Addons: AliArc Grill Guard, Stampede bug deflector, EGR window shades, Ezee down tailgate assist, Amp Research tailgate bed step, Mirror reflectors to turn signals, Truxedo Deuce cover, Underseat storage box, Recon Extreme Scanning Tailgate Lightbar, Gotts mod, LED Smoked Tails, LED Lighted F150 Door Sills, 24" Helos
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
No Pain, No Pain!
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
it should be water tight, especially the windows! take it back and if they cant fix it make them refund your money and go somewhere else and get a better one. Thats what I would do, especially for 4-5 grand I wouldnt put up with any of their bull****. I personally dont like the caps and go for just a cover, but my dads got a cap on a 79 F150 that doesnt leak so the new ones shouldnt leak either in my opinion.
Yes, especially for that price, it shouldn't leak.
1996 F150 Scab longbed, 5.8L, 4x4, 31x10.5 tires, 187k miles and counting. step bars, low-profile tool box, Euro-clear turn signals & headlights, Euro taillights, vent visors, class III Reese hitch, Tekonsha brake controller.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #7

I put the Leer 100XQ on mine about a month ago and have had no leaks that I can find so far. I would contact ARE and tell them about this. They might like to know that a dealer of theirs is giving you the run around! Good luck to you.
Punishher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
5 Year Member

A cap should not leak. Get it fixed or have them refund your money. You might try posting the dealer name and address and complaint on this site. http://www.facebook.com/aretruckcaps

Warn XD900i, OBX LTs, E-fans, Hurst shifter, Procharger @15psi, Troyer tuned.
Swap notes 4.6 to 5.4 http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...ml#post3570245
TheJMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #9

A.R.E. is aware of the issue. The feedback from you folks has given me the confidence to pursue this further. Thanks, everyone.
I'll update the forum on the results of tomorrow's encounter with the installer.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
No Pain, No Pain!
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeJ View Post
A.R.E. is aware of the issue. The feedback from you folks has given me the confidence to pursue this further. Thanks, everyone.
I'll update the forum on the results of tomorrow's encounter with the installer.
Glad we could help.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 PM

Tags
are cap, cap install, leak