Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

known/Common Ecoboost Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default known/Common Ecoboost Issues

Hello all,

I thought I would seek out your advice and input. I am an Ecoboost owner (2011, 4x4, 3.73, XLT) and 80,000 miles on my truck. I have had two problems with my truck in the last month. First, my truck was sputting and mising during hard acceleration and my dealer ended up changing out all the spark plugs. He said all the gaps were wrong. Once he performed that maintenance that issue was fixed. I will be picking my truck up from the transmission shop in an hour where they fixed a sensor in the tranmission that caused my transmission to be stuck in first, fifth or third gears. When this occured my little "wrench" light would come on an I would go into limp mode.

This is my fourth Ford and the first time I have had any major work done prior to 100,000 miles.

Are there more known/common problems that I should expect down the line? What are some of the more common problems that folks have been seeing and at what mileage do they typically occur.

I hate spending time and money repairing a vehicle and I have a substantial amount of equity in this truck. I am trying to decide if I need to sell her and get something else.

Are the 5.0 engines typically more dependable that the Ecoboost?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2015, 03:43 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

HINT/TIP: You'll find posting in the
Late Model F150s > 2009 - 2014 Ford F150
section more helpful/appropriate than General F150 Discussion posts.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:30 PM

Just had the same problem. They changed the plugs and less than 100 miles later the same thing happened. Still at the shop. They said they did something to the intake and downloaded new software. I can pick up 9-16-15. We will see. Truck only has 38,000 miles on it.

Both times it happened under heavy acceleration. Never problem until last week, when I do run the truck it is always under heavy acceleration.

This is my first time ever with trouble with a new vehicle. Except the 99 Durango that had a a lot of small problems. I will never own another Dodge again.

Starting to think the same about the Eco boost.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts

drill a 1/16" hole in the bottom of your CAC and you won't have any more of the stumbling issues.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:16 PM

ok what is a CAC? And why? What does this prevent? Also why would it wait till 38,000 miles to show up?

Last edited by f'n boosted; 09-15-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by slidellkid
Hello all,

I thought I would seek out your advice and input. I am an Ecoboost owner (2011, 4x4, 3.73, XLT) and 80,000 miles on my truck. I have had two problems with my truck in the last month. First, my truck was sputting and mising during hard acceleration and my dealer ended up changing out all the spark plugs. He said all the gaps were wrong. Once he performed that maintenance that issue was fixed. I will be picking my truck up from the transmission shop in an hour where they fixed a sensor in the tranmission that caused my transmission to be stuck in first, fifth or third gears. When this occured my little "wrench" light would come on an I would go into limp mode.

This is my fourth Ford and the first time I have had any major work done prior to 100,000 miles.

Are there more known/common problems that I should expect down the line? What are some of the more common problems that folks have been seeing and at what mileage do they typically occur.

I hate spending time and money repairing a vehicle and I have a substantial amount of equity in this truck. I am trying to decide if I need to sell her and get something else.

Are the 5.0 engines typically more dependable that the Ecoboost?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by f'n boosted
Just had the same problem. They changed the plugs and less than 100 miles later the same thing happened. Still at the shop. They said they did something to the intake and downloaded new software. I can pick up 9-16-15. We will see. Truck only has 38,000 miles on it.

Both times it happened under heavy acceleration. Never problem until last week, when I do run the truck it is always under heavy acceleration.

This is my first time ever with trouble with a new vehicle. Except the 99 Durango that had a a lot of small problems. I will never own another Dodge again.

Starting to think the same about the Eco boost.
Hey guys,

Please keep me abreast of any updates with your trucks; I'm here as a resource.

Chad
Old 09-15-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by f'n boosted
ok what is a CAC?
It's the intercooler.
And why?
Somebody named it that at some point.
What does this prevent?
It will allow moisture to drain out of the CAC so your engine doesn't inhale a shot of water when you get after it.
Also why would it wait till 38,000 miles to show up?
Depending on the climate (humidity) etc.... there could be enough moisture in the CAC to do this @ 3k miles or @ 38k miles.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

You should anticipate having to put a timing chain and phasers into the engine before 100k. Get this repaired under warranty if at all possible.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:25 AM

Cord,

What are phasers?

My warranty has expired. With all these problems I guess I should have purchased an extended warranty.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

The ecoboost motors have phaser and timing chain issues as well? I thought that was for us 5.4l guys to deal with.

Quick Reply: known/Common Ecoboost Issues