Sponsored by:

keep my 12 or get a 16?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 02:36 PM
I bleed Blue

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default keep my 12 or get a 16?

Help! Im losing sleep over this. lol

I have a 12 SCAB 4wd XLT that I absolutely love. This truck has 117k on it right now and other than 2 sets of tires, 2 sets of plugs and two brake jobs I havent had to do anything to it and havent had a single issue with this truck since I bought it 2.5 years ago with 40k on it. It still looks like a brand new truck today and I get compliments on it all the time. I intended to keep it for many years but with my daily drive to work being just over 100miles a day I racked up the mileage a lot faster than I thought. When I bought it I had a Ranger I drove about 50% of the time but wrecked it last fall so the F150 has been my only driver since then.

I recently picked up a 1983 Thunderbird TurboCoupe Im rebuilding and plan to use as my new daily driver until winter sets in. The plan was to park my truck and keep the miles off it and drive the TC as much as possible but at the end of the day Im still left with a perfect truck with high mileage.

Question is .....is this the truck I should keep or should I trade it in while it still holds some value? Current trade in value on it is around 14-15k and I paid cash for it so there is nothing owed on it, so thats all down payment money. I keep thinking it might be better to get a new 16 and keep the mileage off that one.

A couple friends have picked up 16s and I really love everything Ford changed on them. Soooo, has there been any major concerns with the new gen trucks or any reason to NOT buy one? I'd hate to get rid of a perfectly great truck and end up regretting it down the road.

Id be interested to hear from people who have gone from 11-14 5.0 trucks to 15-16 5.0 trucks. Sorry but Ecoboost trucks I have no interest in.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the 12

Originally Posted by deathbypsi
Help! Im losing sleep over this. lol

I have a 12 SCAB 4wd XLT that I absolutely love. This truck has 117k on it right now and other than 2 sets of tires, 2 sets of plugs and two brake jobs I havent had to do anything to it and havent had a single issue with this truck since I bought it 2.5 years ago with 40k on it. It still looks like a brand new truck today and I get compliments on it all the time. I intended to keep it for many years but with my daily drive to work being just over 100miles a day I racked up the mileage a lot faster than I thought. When I bought it I had a Ranger I drove about 50% of the time but wrecked it last fall so the F150 has been my only driver since then.

I recently picked up a 1983 Thunderbird TurboCoupe Im rebuilding and plan to use as my new daily driver until winter sets in. The plan was to park my truck and keep the miles off it and drive the TC as much as possible but at the end of the day Im still left with a perfect truck with high mileage.

Question is .....is this the truck I should keep or should I trade it in while it still holds some value? Current trade in value on it is around 14-15k and I paid cash for it so there is nothing owed on it, so thats all down payment money. I keep thinking it might be better to get a new 16 and keep the mileage off that one.

A couple friends have picked up 16s and I really love everything Ford changed on them. Soooo, has there been any major concerns with the new gen trucks or any reason to NOT buy one? I'd hate to get rid of a perfectly great truck and end up regretting it down the road.

Id be interested to hear from people who have gone from 11-14 5.0 trucks to 15-16 5.0 trucks. Sorry but Ecoboost trucks I have no interest in.
I just traded a 2013 XLT screw w 115k miles for a 2016 I liked the 2013 way better and wish i kept it now.
2016 has a quiter cab thats about all thats better
The smaller mirrors on the 2016 really suck for visibility, do not even think about towing with them.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:38 AM
I bleed Blue

Well I would order the truck built to what I wanted and the tow mirrors are a cheap option upgrade.

I built a nice FX4 on their site today that would suit me perfect and only be about 40k before my A-plan and trade in. Thus making it harder to decide!
Old 05-26-2016, 02:27 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

I got a 16 sitting in my driveway, and my 14 is in a body shop for hood damage, I would buy a GM or Dodge now, the 16 sucks...
Old 05-26-2016, 02:28 AM
I bleed Blue

Care to explain ?
Old 05-26-2016, 02:31 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Originally Posted by deathbypsi
Care to explain ?
Honestly I don't like the window button location and the way the gear shift handles. Also they changed the way the turn signal is.

But if you like the way they are buy one!
Old 05-26-2016, 02:48 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had 3 generations of F150, my current 2015 I not only the best F150 I've ever owned, but the best vehicle I've owned.

Its a more basic XLT supercab with a 2.7 Ecoboost, and is vastly better than my 2007 5.4L in every way possible.

The aluminum body seems to be more resistant to everyday dings, drives better, more comfortable, while being vastly faster than my old 5.4L, but getting almost 10 mpg better on the same commute (14 mpg vs 23.5 mpg).

Also, when towing my horse trailer with 2 quarters in there, it acts like its towing nothing. With my old 5.4, you knew you were towing something behind you.

For the first time ever, my full size truck has become the everday perfect vehicle. Does everything I want and needs, but returns the same fuel economy of a mid-sized sedan did just a few years ago.

Negatives? I really can't think of one. I have several vehicles, and its the one set of keys I constantly pick first to drive before anything else. That wasn't the case with my other trucks in the past.

Last edited by Gerardo E. Paje Jr.; 05-26-2016 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:22 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
Honestly I don't like the window button location and the way the gear shift handles. Also they changed the way the turn signal is.

But if you like the way they are buy one!
These small items should have been noticed by you when you test drove the truck. I don't see how its fair to say the "truck sucks" due to this. The fault is yours.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:26 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Originally Posted by Bucko
These small items should have been noticed by you when you test drove the truck. I don't see how its fair to say the "truck sucks" due to this. The fault is yours.
Yeah I am driving a rental 16 because my 14 is under repair, I just said what I didn't like about the 16. I'm not hating jeez man.

Of course I noticed these items before I bought MY truck. That's why I OWN IT.

I should note, it has the 2.7L and it is very peppy. Almost more peppy than my 14!
Old 06-03-2016, 01:22 AM
I bleed Blue

Well I decided to order the 16 after taking a drive in another friends 16 XLT. Big difference from my 12! You can feel the weight difference and how much more "pep" it has.

I built my own truck starting with a Race Red Supercab XL 4wd 5.0 and just the features I wanted like the tow package,power slider,rubber floors,flow thru console,Sport package,spray in liner,3.73s with the locker.

I hope to have it in about 4 weeks

Quick Reply: keep my 12 or get a 16?