Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kbb value...are people paying that?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kbb value...are people paying that?

Hey all,

This is my first post here so first off hello! I'm currently working on getting an F-150 and my first Ford in general. I'm also pretty novice to the car buying game so I'm asking for a little help.

I'm looking at gently used FX4's and I must say these things seem to hold their value well! My question is are people really paying kbb value on these trucks used? I'm looking at some of these prices and you could almost get a brand new truck for what they are asking, maybe minus a few bells and whistles.

More specifically I found my dream truck. It's a 2013 FX4 perfect shape with 15,000 miles. Has top of the line package (leather and the big entertainment screen). Saw the original sticker price and it was $49k msrp. Now I did price out the value on nada and kbb and low end good price was $40k-$41k. Dealer said they'd sell to me for $39,800 when I asked the price. Though it matches with the values I looked up still seems high for a 2 year old used one...am I crazy?

What prices are you all getting when buying your trucks? Right around kbb value? I'm wondering what to really offer on this truck and feel like I'm getting a good deal.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:58 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

KBB is a consumer used guestimator. NADA will get you closer to what they might go for retail. There are also 2 other references that I know about, but haven't had access to for a while. The auction book and another version of the NADA. If it's "gently used", I'm not sure how much that equates to resale. There's all sorts of wiggle room if you play your cards right. There's 2014 FX's going for less than that with the rebates.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 AM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by moonshinedc
I'm looking at gently used FX4's and I must say these things seem to hold their value well! My question is are people really paying kbb value on these trucks used? I'm looking at some of these prices and you could almost get a brand new truck for what they are asking, maybe minus a few bells and whistles
.....and you would be exactly correct.

That is why I bought mine new, which is only the 2nd new vehicle I've ever bought.

More specifically I found my dream truck. It's a 2013 FX4 perfect shape with 15,000 miles. Has top of the line package (leather and the big entertainment screen). Saw the original sticker price and it was $49k msrp. Now I did price out the value on nada and kbb and low end good price was $40k-$41k. Dealer said they'd sell to me for $39,800 when I asked the price.
The dealer is smokin crack looking for noobies to *** rape.

FWIW I bought my 2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew 3.5L TT ($1000 option) with the Appearance Package ($2000+ option) brand spanking new for $39K and change. So yes, someone trying to charge you that same price for a 2 model year depreciated vehicle, already used and title, and 15,000 miles is seeking a "mark" they can rip off. Don't be that "mark" they are looking for.

You can find a 2014 Appearance package truck brand new for that price. Don't buy used and pay that for a 2 year depreciated truck, ESPECIALLY used, and with a new redesign hurting it's sale value more.

Also, IMHO you should avoid the big touchscreen Sony sound package. Sony audio is not high end, but Ford is charging high end prices for it. You can get a better system yourself from the guy in the Vendor section selling the Ford Kicker systems for $450. Touchscreens are problematic after X years and with all the controls incorporated......well, think about it.

Last edited by CreepinDeth; 05-27-2015 at 01:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Blank102 (05-27-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the responses and confirming my thoughts fellas. I believe that price is pretty asinine considering its a 2 year old model and with the redesign. I'm not too keen on the new 2015's yet and with not many new 2014's fx's to pick from I'll be looking around for a better used deal I think. I'm looking for something specific so it makes it a little harder.

And yeah the touch screen I was a little skeptical paying extra for but unfortunately to get leather on the newer ones you have to get it. I was honestly thinking of a 2012 without any screen and finding out some options for aftermarket in which the steering wheel buttons would still work. I'm sure there are some economical options out there...
Old 05-27-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been searching for a used truck for quite a while myself. Now I'm not looking in your price range or year. I've been looking for a 2011 or 2012 with the ecoboost and it is insane what people and dealers are asking for these things. There is a dealer in my area that wants 25k for a 2011 FX4 supercrew ecoboost with 130,000 miles on it!! Then when I punch it into NADA, clean retail says it's worth 28k!!! I mean that is insane to me
Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Finn5033
I have been searching for a used truck for quite a while myself. Now I'm not looking in your price range or year. I've been looking for a 2011 or 2012 with the ecoboost and it is insane what people and dealers are asking for these things. There is a dealer in my area that wants 25k for a 2011 FX4 supercrew ecoboost with 130,000 miles on it!! Then when I punch it into NADA, clean retail says it's worth 28k!!! I mean that is insane to me
That is ridicoulous for that truck. Don't care what options, pristine condition, etc. in regards to the FX4. That's almost a slap in the face for them even asking that. Just off the top of my head w/o even knowing the specs or track record of the vehicle I'd say a big maybe 20K if were clean, spotless carfax and had good lifetime service records.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 232 Likes on 149 Posts

Love my 2013 with big screen and Sony sound package.....to each his own.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by moonshinedc
And yeah the touch screen I was a little skeptical paying extra for but unfortunately to get leather on the newer ones you have to get it.
No you don't. Same interior I have......base stereo.
Nicer leather too with Alcantera inserts (Suede).

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...8794/overview/

Last edited by CreepinDeth; 05-27-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by CreepinDeth
No you don't. Same interior I have......base stereo.
Nicer leather too with Alcantera inserts (Suede).

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...8794/overview/

Oops sorry man. I meant for the big touch screen and without the decals and red interior seat striping. Not sure what package that is but I'm interested in the regular without that stuff. And for that you have to get leather.

Honestly at this point I'm think of a low mile 2011-2012 . Seem to be the same features as a 2013-2014 minus the entertainment screen but I'd save money and could just get an aftermarket screen put in.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:26 PM

And glad I'm not the only one in the same boat scratching my head at these prices. Guess I'll keep looking and eventually stick something for a good price. I have the luxury of having 2 or 3 months so no rush. But yeah I certainly wouldnt pay that much for any vehicle with 130,000 miles!! No way!

An update on the truck I asked about...came in with a lower offer thinking the salesman might counter off. He didnt budge. When I asked their bottom dollar they told me 39k. He then gave me the typical talk saying someone came in today and test drove it and offered 38k but they were trying to settle at 39k. Told him let me know if that offer falls through and have a good one...

**** for 39k you can still land a brand new 2014 fx4 all decked out. Or a brand new 2015 for that matter with a little less options.

Quick Reply: kbb value...are people paying that?