General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Intake in a 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default K&N Intake in a 5.0?

Hey guys i have a 2013 XLT 5.0 with only 9,000miles on it. Im considering putting in a K&N Performance intake. I like the idea of the extra hp and the sound change but honestly i don't know a lot about the setup and the pros and cons. Also would i have warrantee issues taking it back to ford if something ever happened? Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 168 Likes on 150 Posts

I wouldn't do it. Ford has gone to a lot of trouble to put on the proper intake and you want to take it off. Everything I've heard about the K&N is that they cause more problems than they solve. Very little, if any, hp would be gained with K&N. Extra hp is in the tuning much more than the intake.

But then this is what I've read and heard, not personal experience.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by depami
I wouldn't do it. Ford has gone to a lot of trouble to put on the proper intake and you want to take it off. Everything I've heard about the K&N is that they cause more problems than they solve. Very little, if any, hp would be gained with K&N. Extra hp is in the tuning much more than the intake.

But then this is what I've read and heard, not personal experience.

Being a member of the Mustang Source forum there is a ton of discussion about cai's. The consensus if the HP numbers are a myth. But, if you want one for looks that's a different story. There is also a question about the K&N's oiled filter. If you get to much oil on the filter it can be sucked into the engine. I'm in no way an expert, and this is only what I have read. But, like @depami says it is quite an expense for so little return. Good luck on your decision.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

If you want to spend a few hundred on something that will actually benefit your motor, get a good quality oil separator catch can and forget the aftermarket CAI.

Last edited by jgiddy; 03-24-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put one on my 2012 screw 5.0 and love the sound but my gas mileage went down. I did see a bit better throttle response but other than that, would not spend the money again.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

As others have noted ...
  • do it for the engine bay cosmetics.
  • do it for the growl.
  • do it for any performance gain (HP, FtLb, MPG) and you've done it for the wrong reason.
The F-150's factory air intake ...
  • CFM is MORE than adequite.
  • already is a CAI (Cold Air Intake).
Issues with air intake systems with oiled filters (of which K&N is one) ...
  • ANY aftermarket air flow gain comes at the expense of filtration.
  • oil contamination of the MAF sensor. *Doesn't really matter if it's oiled correctly or over-oiled, the input air will have some ingested.
  • the co$t does not justify any performance considerations (since there is little to none).
The following users liked this post:
dieselhunter44 (04-05-2014)

Quick Reply: K&N Intake in a 5.0?