Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Got Back From the Dealer what a pain.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just Got Back From the Dealer what a pain. (Updated)

Actually I went to two dealers today. My truck started acting up late last week. Hard starting and fast idoling issues. The first dealer I went to said I could leave the truck if I wanted to but if they couldn't recreate the issue then they wouldn't do anything. I understood this but wasn't real high on his speach about being understaffed because of the economy and what not. Then he said that they would spend 15 minutes trying to create the problem, if they couldn't they would move on. No offer of a ride and certainly no rental car. (my truck is under warrenty by the way).

So I went to a second dealer. They were much better to deal with!! Asked to keep my truck for a few hours to wait for it to cool, offered me a ride where ever I wanted to go). When they still couldn't get the truck to act up they called Ford discovered a TSB for the 2006 f150 that matched my complaint almost to the letter and reprogrammed the PCM.

I don't know the rules on posting names of the dealerships but if anyone in the MI area cares to know I'd be happy to tell you. I know I will never be going back to the first dealer again!

John

Last edited by Dark Stone; 09-09-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Post up the dealer name, If they did you wrong, make it known.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 AM

Default update!!

Ok so as I said in my origional post. The second dealer reprogrammed the PCM per the TSB but the problem has not gone away. Last night the truck didn't start on the first try and this morning the truck started right up but was idoling at 1400RPM (this is usually will below 1000). Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be? I really hate these naging problems that never seem to show up when the truck is in for service!

Thanks in advance for the help.

John
Old 09-09-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Am not sure if I follow you correctly, excuse me if I'm way off base. On initial start up, sometimes it takes two attempts, this could be caused by the fuel pressure not up to specs on first attempt. Possible causes are either the injectors or regulator leaking off pressure over night. Is this serious, no by any means, although agravating. Higher idle at start up, how long does this last? Always thought the IAC intentionally gave us higher idle speeds on cold starts for about 60 seconds, then back to normal.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:37 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have to start mine 2 times every once in awhile. It helps to turn the key to the on position and wait 2 seconds before starting it. This gives the fuel pump a chance to pressure the system up.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Wiltshire
Am not sure if I follow you correctly, excuse me if I'm way off base. On initial start up, sometimes it takes two attempts, this could be caused by the fuel pressure not up to specs on first attempt. Possible causes are either the injectors or regulator leaking off pressure over night. Is this serious, no by any means, although agravating. Higher idle at start up, how long does this last? Always thought the IAC intentionally gave us higher idle speeds on cold starts for about 60 seconds, then back to normal.
Bill you are right on point on the start up issue. Sometimes it takes more than one attempt or if it does fire on the first attempt it sounds like it "chokes out" (sorry can't find a better way to discribe it) just before it suddenly comes to life and fires. The high idle doesn't always happen either. It never happens if I have to try and start a second time. Hearing the engine "choke out" as I discribed above dosen't seem to have any affect on the high idle. Sometimes it idles high when it chokes and sometimes it idles high when the truck seems to start normally. On the otherhand sometime it starts just fine with no issues at all. It never does it when the engine is completly warm but it doesn't have to be first thing in the morning either. It's worse in the morning but it will also do it at lunch after the truck has sat for a few hours since being driven last. So not completly cooled down but close I guess is what I'm trying to say.

I live in MI and the mornings have suddenly gotten cooler (not cold but down into the low 50 anyway) I'm guessing this is not related but it is an environment change that I thought I should mention since the starting issue and the cooler temps came along at the same time.

Thanks again,

John

Last edited by Dark Stone; 09-10-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Ford Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont drive your truck daily but what you describe to me sounds like normal operation.
Now my 97 mustang fires up on first try every time and the idle is high for a few seconds because of the IAC doing its job.
Now my 99 f150 sometimes takes 2 cranks to start. And the IAC also does its job there.
If there is a problem I hope you find it, but it seems like what you describe as normal to me. Cooler conditions will cause long or hard starts, and you say its getting cooler so maybe the adaptive learning tables in the pcm are trying to adjust. This time of the year its crazy cause its hot all day and cool at night.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi John, has there been any CEL activity. (Check engine lite), an occasional blip on start up, well who cares. Sounds like yours is more occuring then not. Have the codes pulled and post if there is any activity. The temperature thing is going to have a factor, the PCM should react and compensate accordingly. Two things for you to consider, 1 is a fuel pressure tester for the injected engines, and 2 is the OBD II reader. These are tools necessary to diagnose. Some people like to play with their trucks, some want to know more and others like myself are just plain scared to let other hands touch it. What ever catagory or your interests are these are necessary tools to have. Right now, I sure would like a fuel pressure gauge on this engine during every start up for comparison
Old 09-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have no first hand knowledge of your engine but I did a search using your problem and one of the things mentioned numerous times was a dirty mass air flow sensor. I assume the dealer read your codes because a bad engine temperature sensor, or a ambient temperature air sensor will cause such problems. If you had a carburetor and the engine was running like this I would the first thing I would look at is the choke, step up cam, and choke unloader. With digital engines these functions are controlled by your ECM with data from the above mentioned sensors.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like there is some kind of fuel bleed back. That would cause the pump to have to catch up before having the proper fuel pressure to start. I would have dealer check the fuel system next.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just Got Back From the Dealer what a pain.