General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Into Enemy Territory

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Into Enemy Territory

Well gentlemen, I've been a loyal Chevy owner for over 12 years and 4 trucks.. I almost bought my first Ford last year, but a terrible dealership/sales manager experience sent me back to purchase my current '14 Silverado LTZ.

That being said, I've ridden in and driven a couple of coworker's Fords and am again considering the new Ford for my next upgrade. I don't have any specific complaints about my Chevy, they've always been great trucks. However, the refined look, inside and out, and seemingly much larger interior space in the Ford Super Crew has had me crawling all over this forum for days. I've read up on the fuel mileage, the strength of the aluminum bodies, the great safety ratings, all of the typical "advertised" sales points.

What I'm really looking for, is to hear from you guys. I want to know what you love about your trucks. I want to hear the things that I might not have thought of that will convince me I'm looking in the right place for my next ride. Tell me about the motor you have and why you chose it, the options you think are absolutely essential to have on your truck, and even some that might not be as important to look for.

I'm in outside sales, so I office out of my truck every day of the week. I put around 40,000 miles a year on for business and another 25-30,000 on personal driving. A SuperCrew is essential as I occasionally have a truck full of passengers. I do get into some nasty driving conditions so 4x4 will be on it as well. Don't do a lot of towing, but will occasionally be hooked up to loads in excess of 5,000lbs. I do put a lot of highway miles on a truck, and I'm not going to lie, I am constantly in excess of the speed limit by 5-10mph.. This truck will see a lot of miles at 80-85mph. ( I also level and put 33" tires of everything I drive )

Thank you guys in advance for your input. I find that the best salespeople, are the people who live and love what they're selling. Thought this would be the best place to find just that! I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:34 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

Both GM and Ford have a ****ty/great 1/2 ton truck and ****ty/great dealership experiences.

Only problem with GM is, they have square wheel wells...
Old 08-28-2015, 09:43 AM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by TexAgs09
I almost bought my first Ford last year, but a terrible dealership/sales manager experience sent me back to purchase my current '14 Silverado LTZ.
You'll have that anywhere.

However, the refined look, inside and out, and seemingly much larger interior space in the Ford Super Crew has had me crawling all over this forum for days. I've read up on the fuel mileage, the strength of the aluminum bodies, the great safety ratings, all of the typical "advertised" sales points.
Ford and Chevy both make strong trucks. Fords just (to me) are much more visually appealing and have better features. They're just more "comfortable." Chevy is too boxy.

What I'm really looking for, is to hear from you guys. I want to know what you love about your trucks.
I love them because they're really easy to fix. And because of their popularity, whatever problem you have, someone else has had. So finding solutions doesn't take long.

Tell me about the motor you have and why you chose it...
It was cheap.

I put around 40,000 miles a year on for business and another 25-30,000 on personal driving...I do get into some nasty driving conditions so 4x4 will be on it as well. Don't do a lot of towing, but will occasionally be hooked up to loads in excess of 5,000lbs. I do put a lot of highway miles on a truck, and I'm not going to lie, I am constantly in excess of the speed limit by 5-10mph.. This truck will see a lot of miles at 80-85mph.
It'll handle all that without a problem. 5,000 isn't much.

I love my truck. It's given me problems, but every vehicle will. I don't understand people who bitch about their vehicles without doing anything but very basic maintenance (in other words nothing more than an oil change that was due 2,000mi ago). Moving parts will wear and break. That's unavoidable. Every vehicle has that. The point is, I take care of it and I have no doubts I will make it to point B when I load up and get ready at point A.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 107 Likes on 59 Posts

I could never deal with a Chevy dealer. Last time I went to a Chevy dealer they wanted $2000 more for a truck that listed less then the Ford I bought. I might add, not dealing with me has been happening for over 30 years. I used to buy from a Pontiac dealer that was right next door to a Chevy dealer. Bought dozens of Pontiacs but could never come even close on price from the Chevy dealer.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I've had every brand of truck and the F150 has been by far the most reliable and solid of the bunch. On top of that with this new F150 and the 2.7 EB motor you get to have your cake and eat it (great power and killer MPG). In any other truck you don't get both, on top of that the F150 has a ton of cab space. It's also really sharp looking although I think the RAM is the best looking truck out there.
The only complaint I have is that I miss the growl of a V8 with a nice exhaust, that's something that I decided I could live with.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

I have a 09 Silverado and a 13 F150. Both function pretty much the same. The F150 is more powerful with the Ecoboost, the F150 has a flat floor. The interior is more personal preference. IMO it comes down to interior and engine choice.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:06 AM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

I've driven both Fords and Chevies.

Ex-loyal GM guy here, but now I own an F150 not only because GM screwed us all, but because hte F150 was simply put just a much nicer truck all around.

I chose the EcoBoost 3.5L but honestly I'm thinking the 5.0L that I originally went to buy is what I should have gotten. My main reason is purely longterm maintenance speculation in costs. I think the 3.5L EcoBoosts are not "Eco" anything, and it's just more about twin turbo torque instantly. I think if you're going to get an Eco, the 2.7L is a good motor, I've driven it and it feels quite capable like any V8 would.

Longevity wise, I'm fully aware that the Eco's will cost a fair margin more to maintain due to the more complex system driving them. Twin turbos alone to replace are a $4,000 job. Know that going in, and don't kid yourself.......motors from anyone have issues.

If you are a person who trades your car in every 4-6 years or less, get an EcoBoost.
If you are a person who will keep the truck for the longer haul, might want to consider the NA motor.

The other problem with buying EcoBoosts, is buying them used. Everyone and their mother is putting a "Tune" from just about any place they can get them cheap and that is a high risk scenario for any used Eco buyer, whether these guys will admit it or not. Motors have been blowing up from tunes.

Last edited by CreepinDeth; 09-02-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

I think hes a guy that trades his truck every year or two judging on the amount of miles he puts on his trucks and that he needs to ensure reliability. He is putting 65-70k miles per year on his vehicles.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am definitely a trade every two years truck owner.. for my purposes, I can't afford to let a truck get up over 150,000 miles.. I'm mainly asking about the motors because I'm concerned with the distances traveled and speeds they're average traveled at, if motor that's getting its power from turbos, is going to be relying on those turbos constantly to maintain my average 80-85mph..
Old 09-08-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I am definitely a trade every two years truck owner.. for my purposes, I can't afford to let a truck get up over 150,000 miles.. I'm mainly asking about the motors because I'm concerned with the distances traveled and speeds they're average traveled at, if motor that's getting its power from turbos, is going to be relying on those turbos constantly to maintain my average 80-85mph..
I would not say that. I have gone 80-85 and on level ground the turbos are not kicking in at all unless I'm towing but I don't tow that fast. When you are going uphill you might see the boost come up a bit to help out. At least in my semi-aggressive driving style the turbos kick in while accelerating, climbing hills, or sometimes cruising while towing.

Quick Reply: Into Enemy Territory