General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Brake Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Brake Failure

I have a 97 F150 and had brakes installed on front and rear. I drive in mountain areas and each time I go down a hill my brakes fail. In the past I have never had to gear down either and my brakes never failed. My mechanic does not know what to do. Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:15 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Describe brake failure. That is a BROAD subject.Does the pedal go to the floor? Does the pedal become rock hard? Does it sink slowly to the floor? Is it a normal pedal but you are not slowing down? Got to be more descriptive.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Intermittent Brake Failure

Originally Posted by NGM
Describe brake failure. That is a BROAD subject.Does the pedal go to the floor? Does the pedal become rock hard? Does it sink slowly to the floor? Is it a normal pedal but you are not slowing down? Got to be more descriptive.
The pedal sinks quickly to the floor after about 2-3 miles on a down hill slope. I can smell smoke and when I let up I can look in my rear view mirror and see a cloud of smoke.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:14 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Sounds like the brake fluid is boiling. What grade and namebrand of pads did you install? Is the smoke coming from just one side. IS one wheel or rotor hotter than the others? Are you low on brake fluid?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by NGM
Sounds like the brake fluid is boiling. What grade and namebrand of pads did you install? Is the smoke coming from just one side. IS one wheel or rotor hotter than the others? Are you low on brake fluid?
They told me United Pads. I think its just from the left side but could be both. The last (2) times this happen I got out of the car and only checked the left side. Brake fluid level is okay.

I was told that if water gets into the line it could cause the pedal to go to the floor because the water boils to a vapor and the line looses pressure.

I have an appt set up tomorrow and want to give specific instructions. The mechanic wanted to change out the master cylinder but to me if it fails it would fail all the time.

Do you recommend flushing all the lines and new brake fluild.
Thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Originally Posted by stv964
They told me United Pads. I think its just from the left side but could be both. The last (2) times this happen I got out of the car and only checked the left side. Brake fluid level is okay.

I was told that if water gets into the line it could cause the pedal to go to the floor because the water boils to a vapor and the line looses pressure.

I have an appt set up tomorrow and want to give specific instructions. The mechanic wanted to change out the master cylinder but to me if it fails it would fail all the time.

Do you recommend flushing all the lines and new brake fluild.
Thanks
I HIGHLY reccomend a brake flush if there is ANY chance of water contamination. I also would install DOT4 brake fluid instead of 3 it has a higher boiling point, living in the mountains brakes get extra hot. You need to drive the truck and see if one side is alot hotter than the other. If it is you might have a stuck caliper or collapsed brake hose. If you replace the calipers I reccomend the hoses too. I have not heard of that brake pad. I would put Bendix or Wagner pads on it. Also if its available install ceramic pads.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:54 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by NGM
I HIGHLY reccomend a brake flush if there is ANY chance of water contamination. I also would install DOT4 brake fluid instead of 3 it has a higher boiling point, living in the mountains brakes get extra hot. You need to drive the truck and see if one side is alot hotter than the other. If it is you might have a stuck caliper or collapsed brake hose. If you replace the calipers I reccomend the hoses too. I have not heard of that brake pad. I would put Bendix or Wagner pads on it. Also if its available install ceramic pads.
United Pads are sold by NAPA and are ceramic pads $55.49

http://www.unitedbrake.com/index.htm

Thanks again for your help, I will pass this to my mechanic.
SW
Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

That link took me to a United site that makes brake rotors, not the pads. Might want to look further into it. I know USUALLY ceramic in a good name brand run 80-120 a set. 55. is usually a higher quality semi metalic.. Just what I have expierenced thats all.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by NGM
That link took me to a United site that makes brake rotors, not the pads. Might want to look further into it. I know USUALLY ceramic in a good name brand run 80-120 a set. 55. is usually a higher quality semi metalic.. Just what I have expierenced thats all.
I dropped the truck off this morning and got a call a couple of hours later. Long story short the mechanic did nothing from your recommendation and wanted to replace hoses and calipers on both sides, $160 each. I told him no I would pick it up.

He told me that he drove it a couple of miles with the pedal down and it didn't take long to smell and see smoke. He said the left side was smoking and the right only got hot.

I did notice that if I was slowly leaving a parking lot and tapped the brakes quickly the left front would lock up briefly.

Any chance the pads could be glazed?

Any further recommendations. I'm taking it to Meineke.

SW
Old 07-13-2007, 12:42 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Originally Posted by stv964
I dropped the truck off this morning and got a call a couple of hours later. Long story short the mechanic did nothing from your recommendation and wanted to replace hoses and calipers on both sides, $160 each. I told him no I would pick it up.

He told me that he drove it a couple of miles with the pedal down and it didn't take long to smell and see smoke. He said the left side was smoking and the right only got hot.

I did notice that if I was slowly leaving a parking lot and tapped the brakes quickly the left front would lock up briefly.

Any chance the pads could be glazed?

Any further recommendations. I'm taking it to Meineke.

SW
That was a dumb thing for him to do, ride the brakes like that. All he had to do was take it on a normal drive then measure the heat coming off of the rotors with a thermal temp gun, not smoke your pads like that. I do have to agree if one side is locking up really easy like that calipers, new pads and hoses might not be a bad idea. Again get a GOOD quality, don't skimp. If you are taking it to a shop..well duh you said you are... Ask what name brand they are installing. Make them show you the parts. Research them if its something you have not heard of. Do not let them put their in house brand on. I still say Bendix ceramic or Wagner if available.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Brake Failure