Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed extra reverse lights, causing problems with rear park aid sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed extra reverse lights, causing problems with rear park aid sensors

Hello,

I just installed a couple of small LED lights on either side of my hitch receiver. I tapped into the reverse light wire for the trailer connection. Whenever I have them connected and working the rear park aid sensors intermittently give me problems. Dash says "check rear park aid sensors". Sometimes they work and other times they don't. Anyone have any ideas why this would be doing that?
Old 08-05-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScrew
Hello,

I just installed a couple of small LED lights on either side of my hitch receiver. I tapped into the reverse light wire for the trailer connection. Whenever I have them connected and working the rear park aid sensors intermittently give me problems. Dash says "check rear park aid sensors". Sometimes they work and other times they don't. Anyone have any ideas why this would be doing that?
Because you wired it wrong? Try connecting it directly behind one of the tail lights. Also keep in mind led polarity.

Last edited by RLXXI; 08-05-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello,

The truck thinks you have a trailer hooked up, so it turns off the sensors. Your splice might be loose causing it to do it intermittently.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Default Installed extra reverse lights, causing problems with rear park aid sensors

I've had my backup lights tapped into the trailer harness for 18 months, no problems with my backup sensors.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Because you wired it wrong? Try connecting it directly behind one of the tail lights. Also keep in mind led polarity.
I added aux backup lights to our trucks because we have to back down a 200-foot driveway to get to the street, and the camera was all but useless due to a sever lack of light. Our neighborhood is lousy with deer, and they often decide to lay in the driveway. Anyway...

I have a 13 and wiring to one of the OEM backup lights worked for me. However, my wife has a 14, and I had to wire the aux backup lights to the trailer connector. Wiring two aux LED lights to a single backup light on her truck causes the PCM to freak out and not illuminate ANY of the backup lights. While I was fixing that, I noticed that having just one of the aux lights connected allowed the OEM backup lights to work just fine.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Happy Camper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello,

Just installed two aux reverse lights on my 13 XLT today, in the same way. I'm also getting the "Check Rear Park Aid" message. Did you ever find a resolution for this?
Old 01-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Happy Camper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by graybeardnc
Just installed two aux reverse lights on my 13 XLT today, in the same way. I'm also getting the "Check Rear Park Aid" message. Did you ever find a resolution for this?
UPDATE:
I re-wired the aux lights to my OEM reverse lights wiring. Works like a charm, now. Apparently the reverse wire on the 7-pin is part of the circuit for the rear sensors, and they were affected by the added current draw.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:47 AM
JJM

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

I have the same problem but I'm using a relay and getting power from the trailer connection but using the reverse light trigger wire to turn them on. Grounded to the trailer connector as well because I was getting the same error when I grounded each light to the frame. I guess my next option is power and ground straight to the battery?
Old 04-26-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should ALWAYS get power directly from the battery. The extra power draw on the circuits is almost certainly the problem. Get power from the battery and use a relay to turn them on to minimize effect on other circuits.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by graybeardnc
UPDATE:
I re-wired the aux lights to my OEM reverse lights wiring. Works like a charm, now. Apparently the reverse wire on the 7-pin is part of the circuit for the rear sensors, and they were affected by the added current draw.
one of my parking reverse lights aftermarket went out. So I had to replace and now my parking sensor doesn't work with my new reverse lights aftermarket. I feel like maybe I got bad lights but they work when I only disconnect one of them.

Quick Reply: Installed extra reverse lights, causing problems with rear park aid sensors