Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need truck advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need truck advice

Hey Everybody,

I have made it through college and two years of working driving my girly Mazda 3 and now it's finally time for a truck. I drove my dads f150 in High School and want another one. But I am really stuck with where the value is at in the market.

My budget is 20k. Where should I try to end up at? An older model with low miles or a newer model with high miles? I'm planning on keeping the truck until it dies. I prefer the crew cab, even though I hate giving up the bed space. Is the larger wheelbase on the screw with 6.5ft bed hard to drive? I hate to admit it, but I have been driving my golf cart of a mazda for the past 7 years.

I have been told that the 2004-2008 models had some issues and that it is best to avoid them in favor of the gen up if budget allows. Is that true?

2009-2014 are almost out of my price range, unless I pick up one with higher miles.

Any advice is much appreciated,
Aaron
Old 08-12-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarhud09
My budget is 20k. Where should I try to end up at?
In a low mileage vehicle that will last you X years that you need it to.
Don't over finance yourself into an unnecessary liability with high mileage.

As much as I like the newer trucks, I would never allow myself to get one until I was financially able to do so. 50,000 miles has always been my cutoff on used vehicles. I only typically bought in the 25,000-35,000 miles used range tho. That changed after Cash for Clunkers because it jacked up the used vehicle market badly.

You're far better off buying an older vehicle (7+ years) with super low miles that has depreciated massively. Find one in a non-salt belt state that will have a solid body, and has been massively depreciated. Best to have cash and simply goto the auctions with someone that has access IMHO.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best advice I could give is just keep looking on the market whenever you can until you see one you like. Getting one with high miles is not an issue of the truck was well taken care of and what the miles were (highway or other). I was in the same boat as you and kept look in for about a year in half with a 20k budget. I ended up getting a 2010 supercrew 5.4L V8 with 130000. The truck was in mint condition and the guy only used it for cross country light towing. Its all research and not spending what you can't afford. Good luck in your search!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't have a SCREW but to answer the wheelbase/driving difficulty question, I don't think it'll be that much of an issue. You'll need to adjust obviously. Going from a small car to a truck. I went from a long bed SCAB Powerstroke to a 6.5' SCAB F150. It took some time to adjust since I was used to driving something so big and downsizing, it'll be the opposite for you I guess lol.

I'm not going to advise you on what to buy, but I will say that since you're planning on driving it into the ground (like I intend on doing), don't buy anything until you know you're 100% sure that's what you want. I've been looking for new trucks for years. I graduated from college in '13 and I kept looking for "the one" while I continued to save up and settle into my new job. It eventually came around this past March, I pulled the trigger, and I'm extremely happy. Just do all your research, take your time, keep saving up for what you want.

Last edited by BostonBruins; 08-12-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:52 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

A low mileage second generation Ford Sport Trac provides the five passenger seating of a Super Crew, and a 4' truck bed with a factory tonneau cover; available bed extender if you need it. It would be a good all-around vehicle. Independent coil spring suspension gives you a car-like ride, but towing can be up to 7000 lbs and around an 1100 pound max payload.

For a full-size truck, a low-mileage older truck would be a good idea. The care taken on the truck is most important. I wouldn't be afraid of a 2004-2008 especially if the modular engine spark plugs have already been changed. I prefer to look for a truck that has been kept stock so you know there have not been any poorly installed mods. Pay attention for the warped/leaking exhaust manifolds on modular 4.6 and 5.4 engines. If the exhaust manifolds have already been replaced, with the new bolts the problem is solved.

Take your time and don't be surprised it takes a long time to find your ideal vehicle. Haste may earn you an expensive mistake.

The Super Crew 6.5' bed truck is twenty feet four inches long. It may not fit in your garage, and would likely be unwieldy for urban daily driving, but not a problem for suburban or rural use.

Quick Reply: I need truck advice