Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace ignition

Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace ignition

Hello all i have a 88 f-150 custom w/manual trans and some sucker took a hammer and broke off the ignition cylinder.any ideas on how to remove the cylinder to replace it.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM
BLS

IGNITION SWITCH & LOCK CYLINDER -1988 Ford Pickup F150 Not sure if you needed to change the lock cylinder or the ignition switch so will give you both REMOVAL & INSTALLATION LOCK CYLINDER Removal 1.Disconnect negative battery cable. On non-tilt column vehicles, remove steering wheel and trim pad. On models with A/T, place gearshift in "PARK" position (any position on vehicles with M/T). Insert key and turn cylinder to "ON" position. 2.Insert a 1/8" diameter pin in hole on outside of steering column casting, near hazard warning button, on tilt models. Insert pin in hole near base of lock cylinder on non-tilt models. On all models, depress pin and pull out on lock cylinder to remove. Typical Column Type Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder Removal On most vehicles, push in to release lock retainer. Installation Lubricate lock cylinder with grease. Turn lock cylinder to "ON" position. Depress retaining pin and insert cylinder into housing. Make sure that cylinder is fully seated and aligned with interlocking washer. Turn key, and check operation of lock cylinder. IGNITION SWITCH Removal Disconnect battery ground. Remove steering column shroud and lower column. Disconnect switch wiring at multiple plug. Remove nuts securing switch to steering column. Lift switch vertically to disengage actuator, and remove switch. Installation With lock cylinder and switch in "LOCK" position, engage actuator rod in switch. Position switch on column and install retaining nuts, but do not tighten. Move switch up and down along column to locate mid-position of rod lash, and tighten retaining nuts. Rod-Actuated Ignition Switch
Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 AM

sorry i didnt say cylinder but the cylinder is totally mangled because they were trying to steal the truck.any ideas on how to get the cylinder out because the key will not turn what is left of the cylinder.

Last edited by scottwise; 03-25-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:54 PM

Does the steering column need to be removed

Last edited by scottwise; 03-26-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 PM
BLS

Cylinder is mangled huh. Sorry to hear that happened. Hope those guys get there's. Anyway, can you still get the key in it and make it turn somehow? Maybe stick a screwdriver or whatever in there with it? Doesn't matter since you're replacing it anyway. Long as it turns I guess. But if you just can't get it, guess that leaves getting a new column at your wrecking yard or a lock smith. I'm sure you'll get it though. Hang in there.

Oh, no I don't thing removing the column will help you any. Unless you want to take it inside to work on it maybe.

Here's how to bore it out if you need to.

You can try to pick the cylinder but I never had the best luck doing this even though the old Ford lock cylinders weren't very secure. If that doesn't work break the chrome or black bezel off where the key goes in with a screwdriver or pliers, take a drill with a 3/8 bit and drill the tumblers out, then the cylinder will turn.

Last edited by BLS; 03-27-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: additional info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace ignition