General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove distributor

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove distributor

My 4.9 L 6 Cyl started missing. changed plugs and leads. still missing. Bought distributor cap and rotor. Rusty cap bolt broke off. Cannot get the stub out so trying to remove distributor from engine to work on it more effectively. Removed bolt and clamp but it will not come out. Notice what may be a locking allen screw below where shaft enters engine. No mention of it in any literature. does this need to be removed? It seems to be stripped already when I try to find an allen wrench to fit it.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM
corey

warning do not do that unless you are an advance mechanic otherwise your gonna f**k yourself.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 AM

OK - got the distributor replaced, so all the basic ignition parts are new. Still runs rough though. It starts up and runs normal for a couple of seconds then the roughness kicks in.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked fuel pressure?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 AM

I do not have the equipment for that. Waiting to hear from my nephew who might have a gauge. In the meantime I discovered that pulling the vacuum line for the regulator off the tree pretty well cures the problem. Just a slight hesitation on acceleration remains. I earlier pulled the line from the regulator end and it did not make any difference - same line different end - big difference. This I do not understand.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:33 PM
trying to fix the truck

Originally Posted by abarry
Notice what may be a locking allen screw below where shaft enters engine. No mention of it in any literature. does this need to be removed? It seems to be stripped already when I try to find an allen wrench to fit it.
i'm having the same problem, and i'm looking at that allen screw too... was this the reason yours was not coming out?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:05 PM

No - the distributor comes out once you have removed the clamp bolt. I just had to pull a lot harder to get the O ring to move. The allen screw does not hold the distributor.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Have a question about the vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator. Is the line open or has it been plugged up? With out that line working properly the regulator can't adjust fuel pressure to meet engine demands.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:55 PM
trying to fix the truck

Originally Posted by abarry
No - the distributor comes out once you have removed the clamp bolt. I just had to pull a lot harder to get the O ring to move. The allen screw does not hold the distributor.
thanks. sprayed some pb blast and was able to pop it out with a small screw driver.
ran a continuity test on the stator/pickup as the book suggested but got nothing. i think i may be doing the test wrong but i'll replace it anyway
Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Have a question about the vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator. Is the line open or has it been plugged up? With out that line working properly the regulator can't adjust fuel pressure to meet engine demands.
I probably need to close this thread. After much inquiring and experimentation my rig seems to be running fine now. The only thing physically changed is that I had the pipe for the thermactor air supply welded back on to the exhaust. It comes off behind the Cat Conv and was totally separated. That makes everything more pleasant (quieter and no fumes)but it seemed that the engine gradually ran better and better. I did have to tweak the distributor a bit more retarded and I suspect I did not get that back on the correct tooth position. Perhaps, the fuel injector cleaner took a while to get the job done?
Anyway, Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: how to remove distributor