Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you diffuse fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:49 PM
Jeepaholic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do you diffuse fog lights?

I installed backup lights on the back of my truck. They are very bright but they do not spread the light that well. I was wanting to diffuse the light and was wondering what you guys would think the best method would be. I could not find any relevant info online. I put masking tape over the bottom half of them and it worked fairly well despite a big drop in brightness but after removing the tape there's road grime caked on the fog light. The fog lights are Chinese knock offs of rigid dualilys but they work good for the purpose. I'm gonna try frosted shipping tape and see if that works. If anyone has ideas feel free to share
Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Are these LED or filiment bulb fogs?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Jeepaholic

They're led fog lights with a clear lens
Old 02-09-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

While no real experience with what you are trying to do...
I'd imagine the frosted/lightly 'glazed' window film/tint may work as well.

Had used it to 'blur' / diffuse the window in a bathroom. Did it more for privacy but noticed the room was more evenly lit after use and had very little noticeable light blockage. Not sure how this would differ from the frosted shipping tape with the exception that this was applied like normal window-tint.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Jeepaholic

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer
While no real experience with what you are trying to do...
I'd imagine the frosted/lightly 'glazed' window film/tint may work as well.

Had used it to 'blur' / diffuse the window in a bathroom. Did it more for privacy but noticed the room was more evenly lit after use and had very little noticeable light blockage. Not sure how this would differ from the frosted shipping tape with the exception that this was applied like normal window-tint.
That's an interesting idea and sounds like a better, more permanent option. Do you think that it would stick to the plastic lens of the light?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:37 PM

I can't imagine why it wouldn't. If the surface of the light/lenses is smooth it would be just like applying window tint.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Jeepaholic

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer
I can't imagine why it wouldn't. If the surface of the light/lenses is smooth it would be just like applying window tint.
I was at lowes today and they didn't have any of the frosted window tint. I'm gonna try using packaging tape and scuffing it with sandpaper and see how it turns out. If I am unsatisfied I'll go to home depot and see if they have any frosted window tint
Old 02-11-2016, 10:11 AM
I'd rather be sailing.

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I have no experience here but my first thought was to scuff the plastic lens very lightly and test. Only do one for comparison. Maybe sandpaper or something like acetone to fog the lens.

Or maybe you accidentally got spot lights instead of flood lights?

A change could be in order!

Scott
Old 02-11-2016, 11:13 AM

My hesitation in recommending the scuffing of the lens, itself, is there is no coming back from that without purchasing another light if it doesn't work out.

Depending on your timeline requirement Amazon has a wide selection. They also have some of the tints that are static cling / removable that may allow you to get a better idea before a more permanent solution.
Here is just 1 example at $9.98 and if you have Prime... get it in 2 days.
Amazon.com - Fancy-fix Vinyl Adhesive Free Decorative Frosted Privacy Window Film 17.7 by 59 inches - Amazon.com - Fancy-fix Vinyl Adhesive Free Decorative Frosted Privacy Window Film 17.7 by 59 inches -

Quick Reply: How do you diffuse fog lights?